SHD-5M Support Grinder (1x ERPPC, 1x LRM10, 1x LRM5, TAG, AMS, BAP, 5x JJ, XL275)

Thread in 'SHD-5M' started by Xavion, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Xavion

Xavion Junior Member

First, the build:

Now, some thoughts:

the SHD-5M is my least favorite of the SHD variants, and I struggled to find a build I liked enough to grind through to mastery. I tried the AC/20 build, but felt way too fragile in that role. I switched over to Tlord's "Long Range Support" build, and had some success, but still wasn't happy. Thus my "support grinder" was born... and I dare say, I'm actually having a bit of fun with it!

PROS:
    -Stock engine for cost efficiency.
    -15 tubes = 15 launchers: dropped the stock LRM 20 to free up space for armor and ammo.
    -Enough ammo for 60 volleys, so feel free to use them for harassment fire.
    -TAG to support the proper missile boats on your team, and rack up those sweet Spotting/Tagging/c-ECM experience and c-bill bonuses.
    -Max JJs.
    -Max (effectively) armor.
    -Good heat efficiency.

CONS:
    -Not the most nimble SHD with the stock engine.
    -Not a lot of close-range firepower (you need to be a good shot with an ERPPC against close-in lights).
    -No Artemis... but I don't feel like 15 tubes (which drops to 10 once the LRM 5 requires a second non-existent slot in the head) justifies the cost of Artemis to begin with. Use your TAG!

Weapon Groups:
    1: ERPPC
    2: TAG
    3: LRM alpha

Alternate "Shoo Fly!" variant:

...sacrifices two jump jets and a ton of LRM ammo to mount 2xMG.

Benefits:
    -Adds some close range support to help deal with annoying lights.
    -Uses every hard point (for those who care...).

Detriments:
    -Less jumpy.
    -Lose 12 LRM volleys.
    -I CANNOT find a weapon group configuration that I'm comfortable with...

I wish there was an easy way to "swap" fire-groups (and thus which one RMB controls) on the fly, so I could switch my TAG with my machine guns as needed. Both "weapons" want to be continuously fired, but I can't steer properly while holding down a number key on the keyboard. It's probably time I got around to re-mapping the extra buttons on my mouse, but if you're not using purpose-built gaming hardware, it's an awkward solution at best. Personal problem, I suppose... I offer up the option for those who can make better use of it!

EDIT: I just realized my "Shoo Fly!" variant is very similar to Justaway's "Slot Optimal" build... that's what I get for sorting by rating, I suppose. Still, I like the ERPPC/TAG better than the MPLs, but I thought I'd give credit where it's due.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Imho it's the best reason not to use a build. It can be terrific on the paper, if you can't use it properly...

On your MG variant, rather than removing ammo, I'd personally remove one more JJ and shave some armor (44 points on the legs, it' ok).

3. Xavion

Xavion Junior Member

I have to agree with you epikt (and I appreciate your thoughts on ammo vs. armor), though I have been having some success with the MG alt build...

I've found that up to mid-game, a few squirts of MG fire are enough to frighten off most light pilots, who will go looking for an easier target--this is easily enough accomplished without disrupting my steering.

By late-game I've typically expended my LRMs and the survivors have collapsed into a brawl, so I just add the MGs to my RMB weapon group and scan whoever's standing with both the guns and the TAG--taking ERPPC shots as they line up and heat allows. Switching weapon groups around in the thick of combat is hardly ideal, but if you leave your weapon group cursor in the right place from the beginning it can be accomplished in a fraction of a second.

I've yet to get much more than 400 damage out of either build... but grinders are more about being useful to the team on a budget than posting high scores anyway.

4. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

I like the MG-Version more but 11heatsinks for the ERPPC are definitely too few. You will notice this especially on the hotter maps. Maybe drop some JJs and Armor to get more Cooling. I would even drop BAP for that:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast