Steam Machines [Impressions, DIY, etc]

Thread in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by Blagg Zear, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

The concept of the Steam Machines is to make ultra compact affordable console-like Gaming Rigs, with Performance enough to do some gaming like the current gen consoles. For a real PC Enthusiast ofc the performance is a joke. but considering they are designed for school kidz/students/casual gamers with a tight pocket but wanting something more than the current gen consoles, Steam Machines have their niche market place.

If you want a compact case and throw some more bucks for keeping the Enthusiast Power you can always chose a Design Case, which can carry a Full Lenght GFX Card. Take a look at this build:
    [​IMG]

Case Review: http://www.techspot.com/review/1062-silverstone-raven-rvz02/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Ohhhhh thats nice!!!!

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Would love to watch a Steam Machines Review Vid on your YT-Channel @Michael (or just a discussion about what is available and if it is better to config a rig by DIY etc. ^_^)

4. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Not a bad idea. I've got an upcoming video on the rebuild of the Ti Fighter as soon as my cable combs arrive. Then that's not a bad video to do.

Blagg Zear likes this.
  5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

MWO will be launching soon on
    STEAM (Dec 10th)

Ready to build a Steam Machine - MWO Edition? :D

Here comes my Power Configuration for High Performance in a Super Compact Size and with low Power Consumption. This time i chose the very cute Sugo SG13 ITX-Case for this challenge. It can swallow long Grafix Cards despite the itx form factor.

[​IMG]

The "Weapon Loadout"

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3,3-3,7GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, TDP 80W, Cooled by Scythe SCKZT-1000
    MBO: Asrock H97M-ITX
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970, 3.5(+0.5)GB DDR5, TDP 150-200W
    RAM: Team Dark 16 GB (Dual Channel) DDR3-1.600 MHz
    HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2.5", SSD
    Case: Silverstone Sugo Mini-ITX Case
    PSU: Corsair CSM 450W, 80+ Gold
    Price: ~$800

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K9m8D3

Here is a similar config by someone else: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LLTH99

Enjoy building your own little Steam Machine. ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    The Verge likes this.
  6. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

My rurrent Custom Steam Rig:

[​IMG]

The Rig has 8GB DDR3 RAM@2400MHz and is powered up by a Pico PSU 160W + 150W external DC Connector. The CPU has a TDP 65W (load), so it still has room for Hybrid Crossfire with the R7 250 (TDP 75W). Although i got the feeling that the Crossfire Setting needs more Power, something like 200W maybe to get total Stability.*

I still have to work on optimization, e.g. Settings on CPU/RAM Frequencies + Voltage Control can work wonder on the A10 Series.

MWO with only the iGPU with acceptable FPS of 30+ (iGPU only!):

Settings @1050p
    [​IMG]

Fraps with MWO:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On 1080p, Details have to set to low to get avg 30fps.

If i find time the next days i'll post some FRAPS Screens of other good benchmark games like TR, BF4 etc.

Tests with Hybrid Crossfire R7 iGPU + R7 250 will follow asap, if i can get it very stable - very driver version dependent and need to find out the safe wattage power delivered by the PSU - tricky when using PicoPSU + ext.Connector to save Weight + Interal Room for Heat Management.

*another approach is to go further with cpu undervolting to lower consumption

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Shock likes this.
  7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Well, still no big time to make some more tuning+tests with my freeborn APU System. But this WE looks good. Ow wait, one thing i did already - i succeeded to push the CPU Voltage further down to 1.25v (from 1.46 Stock) and keep the OC@4GHz (from 3.6Ghz Stock) - no CPU Throttling at all during a 5 Min. MWO Test. This is fantastic first impression. I need to check the Stability+Temps on some longer Tests. But seems to stay cool even at Load (<50°C) - it's surprising that the 160W PicoPSU can handle the energy draw with no problems even at load - Undervolting works fine so far. But as said - needs to be tested for longtime load.

The Case i use is the Antec ISK 300-150 incl. Rear Fan Control for a Twin Fan on the side and a low profile dGPU (R7 250) on the other side:
    [​IMG]

So If you want to build up your own Mini.ITX HTPC/Steam Rig with this little shiny APU - here is the steps you should go for:

1. Update Bios (in my case with the Gigabyte F2A88xn-wifi -> big performance boost)
    2. (Despite ppl saying the faster the better ->) Go for DDR3 2133MHz, not 2400+. System works most stable at 2133 and the gain is marginal with even faster Rams. Don't use X.M.P. Profile, set timings manually.
    3. Set CPU Voltage down to 1.25v.
    4. OC CPU to 4GHz is a Nice2have for CPU heavy applications, but keep in mind - most games demands for GPU Power, so CPU is not the bottleneck - it's the GPU - and because of Shared Memory, the bottleneck is the Memory Controller! And while CPU OC with the APU is cool, on Load the CPU might throttle so to keep the iGPU frequency and also to keep low energy draw.
    5. OC iGPU from Stock (e.g. 757Mhz) up to 1GHz, but here again -> the Bottleneck is the Memory Controller, so.. N2H!

Here are some other nice Clips that inspired me to try this rig out:

:)

P.S. Here is another Project i want to start the next week:

*OLD BUT NOT OBSOLETE*​

My very first HTPC (from 2008 !) was a C2D [email protected] + Zotac Geforce 9300-ITX-WIFI + 4GB DDR2 + 500GB HDD in a Shoebox Case. It was this one but i had the "Window" Edition, coupled with the Geforce 8800GT (that goold old card, already sold away a decade ago):
    [​IMG]

btw the best component was the Mainboard, it was pretty expensive, but worth every penny (HDMI, Digital Optical Sound Output, iGPU=Geforce 9300 OC-able via Bios! and integrated WIFI, plus PCI-Express x16 Slot for additional dGPU Power).
    [​IMG]

Now here is the idea - that rig is still alive & damn stable, just piss old & f*** slow. It's too pity to throw that rig away. So here is the plan - I want to put the core system into an even smaller case (<5l) with a ultra light PicoPSU@120W and so transform that Beast into an ultra compact BD-Drive + Surf&Office + 'Good Old Games' HTPC Machine that weighs just about <3KGs - can watch HD Movies and also can play your favorite oldies. The case i already bought:
    [​IMG]

Well the plan is in fact pretty easy, nothing special you might think. BUT here comes the very exciting part:

The Performance Power is so low, you really want to upgrade that. So what about to do to Power Up this Mario? Well my first thought was to upgrade the C2D E8500 (dual core) to a C2Quad to extend the performance for newer apps that benefits from multicore tech. Initially i found the Q9550 as the best deal, but that old cpu still costs more than fifty bucks today. WTF. Besides the maximum model is the Q9650, which is sold up to 100 (yeah it's crazy what ppl still want for sooo old hardware). No way i want to pay that money for this old machine.

Allrite, i could tell you a much longer story, but TLDR i want to do this crazy sh*t with the old Socket 775 System:

Yeah, you got it right - you can mod the Socket775 Board to fit the powerful Socket771 Xeon E5450 (same specs as the Top Dog Q9650 but lower TDP: 80W vs 95W). All you need is the Xeon CPU, a Carpet Cutter Knife and a 'Pin Mod Adapter Sticker'. The CPU is easily found at <25 Bucks and the Stick for another few. *

Paired with the iGPU Geforce 9300/nForce 730i this System can play any GOG-Games that is pre-2005 Era, and maybe even some of the AAA-Titles like HL2 or any other Source Engine Game (already tried it with the E8500 - works like charm). Also work for light-weight F2P titles like LOL, PoE etc.

Go for a bigger ITX Case with integrated Flex PSU, plug in a dGPU like the GTX 960 and play some nasty sh*t like GTA V or Witcher 3:

* Here is a full detail Tutorial: http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/#how-adapter-works

If you are interested on such old S771 Rigs, check this up:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  8. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Added another Case Fan to boost the air circulation in this tight case

[​IMG]
    That's the XFX R7 250 low profile single slot design grafixcard, depending on the crimson profile settings it automatically start hybrid crossfire mode or just use the dGPU and leave the iGPU inactive. That's good for power draw/temps.
    [​IMG]

You can see how small this case ist (console format). btw Temps are fantastic. On load cpu never gets above 50°.
    [​IMG]

So after some longer games benchmark tests, i can say this rig can run 1080p, Med Details, fps 40+ for some selected AAA Games, like TR, BF4, DA:I, Alien Isolation, Metro Last Light. (check this list: http://amdcrossfire.wikia.com/wiki/Crossfire_Game_Compatibility_List). Other Games which are not doing fine in crossfire mode requires to lower the resolution to 1050p/900p. It still looks fine and details are usually better than on the consoles. Also keep in mind - PC Games are not so hardware-optimized like console games. On the other hand you can get Steam/GOG Games for cheap money especially on sales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* Edit: I just OCed the iGPU Frequency a bit from 757MHz to 800MHz. The Rig's still stable at Gaming. The best - 1050p in MWO fps bumps up from avg 35fps to 40. That's awesome. Drawback: Temps went up for 5° but still good.

Recommended Standard Config for only $350 (Console Price):
    CPU: A10-7860K, TDP 65W ~$100
    Mobo: A68M-ITX ~$50
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-2133 ~$30
    Diskdrive: HDD 1TB 2,5", 7200rpm ~$50
    dGPU: R7 250, 2GB, TDP 75W ~$50
    Case+PicoPSU: itx ~$40
    BD Drive: ~$30

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

My next Custom "Steam Machine" is gonna be started next week with some rest components and a shiny new Dragon Baby (yeah it's the fresh new GTX 1060! love this gpu):

[​IMG]

Review of this Dragon Baby: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-g1-gaming-review,1.html

The Case of choice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    with this good old Core:
    CPU: i5-4690
    RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600
    Mobo: MSI B85i Gaming

I'm still thinking about what CPU-Cooler i shoud go for - classic tower fan or compact AIO Liquid?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Excalibaard and Aylek like this.
  10. Riscy

Riscy Benefactor

I just got the 1060 as well. A great card and now I'm not GPU limited in MWO. 100fps all the time with everything on high, except MSAA which drops me below the 75Hz refresh rate of my monitor.

Blagg Zear likes this.
  11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

What i like most about this card is the very very low power consumption.

Here for comparison:
    GTX 960 ~120W TDP
    GTX 1060 ~135W TDP
    GTX 970 ~155W TDP
    GTX 1070 ~160W TDP
    GTX 980 ~175W TDP
    GTX 980 Ti ~250W TDP
    GTX 1080 ~185W TDP

12. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Also saving some for the GTX1060, which will likely be a good upgrade for my GTX650Ti. Really excited about the new architecture, it seems like such a trivial solution to make VR faster/easier as well :D
    Looking into upgrading from the i7-2600K with some Skylake in the form of an i5-6400 as well, and maybe getting some DDR4 RAM.
    First I'll have to see how much money I can still pump into this tower :D

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

i was thinking long time about chosing RX 480, 8GB VRAM or GTX 1060, 6GB VRAM... but the low Power Consumption and the faster availability of custom designs convinced me to go Green again! My last Green one was the ECS 9800 GT with massive Passive Cooler (ok you could go for Turbo Twin Modules for extra cash) :D

[​IMG]

Edit: i'm wrong, that was the card before my actual last/recent card hehe

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  14. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

Are you crazy? Except for the power consumption - with isn`t worth the price for the upgrade - you don`t need a new cpu. Especially not the 6400. Go at least for the 6600, the 6400 just hasn`t enough power.

Blagg Zear likes this.
  15. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

i think he is aiming for the more recent 1151 socket with DDR4 Support... right? :)

16. Excalibaard

yes, I'm going for the 1151 socket :)

the 6400 performs as well as the 6500 according to tests/reviews that I've read, even if it clocks slower. 6600K is something I thought about, but I'm generally not an overclocker and it's just more expensive ;PPPPP

17. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

Ah, the last time i checked prices, the 6500 was only about 15€ above the 6400. now its more than 35€ and thats really not worth the upgrade. If you go for a classic I5, then there is nearly no "bad" cpu.

Has the socket 1151 so many improvements over your socket 1155? I`m not up to date about the differences, because i upgraded recently from socket 775 (Core2Duo) to 1151 with the i5 6500, so I skipped everything between and didn`t follow the specs. (I use a pc as long as it works properly, but this f*** just didn`t want to die until last christmas^^)

18. Excalibaard

It's supposed to be ~35% performance increase, and then there's also the DDR4 memory support, which is lightning fast. The GTX1060 has priority (so I can play MWO at higher graphics than medium-low again) but since I'm also regularly using photoshop and am soon going to start video editing again combining it with a CPU/RAM upgrade seems not too far out of scope.

19. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Very reasonable decision Mate! If you Focus on Gaming and some other GPU Heavy depending Applications, there is marginal Advantage by chosing anything better than the i3-6300 or i5-6400 - Great Price-Performance Ratio!

Well, i'm still using 1150 with the Xeon E3-1231v3 on my Main Rig. Maybe when the Successor of Skylake arrives with even better Power Efficiency i'll switch to 1151.

Ow btw my Gigabyte Gaming G1 arrived today. Darn sexy card! One of the best Custom Variants of the 1060, really. ^_^

Now i just have to find a way to install this ITX-Hydro Cooler paired with the Gaming G1 into the Sharkoon QB One:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-hydro-h5-sf-review,1.html

It really gives me the Feeling of loading a Gaussrifle + AC20 into the Urbanmech! Haha

Flokoloko and Excalibaard like this.
  20. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Ow great, i got the chance to buy the i5-6400 for only 140 bucks and couldn't resist. :D

Now i need a new Mobo and DDR4 Rams. Any suggestions?

Btw:
    Anybody's looking for an Upgrade Bundle for a powerful Steam Rig? -> i'm gonna sell some parts i5-4690, H97M-E, 16GB DDR3-1600

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast