1. Hi everyone!
    This is a kind reminder to rate the builds you play or read. The ETA for the new rating system is not yet here, but if everyone active could rate 1 build per day, we can have everything rated in only 1 month! Don't feel bad about giving bad ratings with some constructive criticism :)
    Thanks in advance -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

TDR-9S!? New Thunderbolt Variant?

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt' started by Excalibaard, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  2. GDCarlyle

GDCarlyle Junior Member

I was wondering myself. I think it is in the data files, but will probably be released as part of a 2nd PP pack.

The chassis kinda looks like the best of both the 5SS and 5S.

3. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

Or This?

4. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

How did I even skip over dual AMS? I need this thing.

5. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

I wants it!! So many builds for this with it having more energy than the 5S. This is literally the only mech I'd want to get out the (now 7) new Phoenix variants.

6. GDCarlyle

GDCarlyle Junior Member

So many slots, so little tonnage Q.Q. With all the hardpoint goodness on this mech (dual ballistics, 5SS sexy shoulder lasers, etc) it is practically begging you to slap on a dirty, dirty XL engine.

You want to, you know you do pilot

God I feel dirty....

And here is a quick STD design to make me feel better.

7. LT Satisfactory

You can get a STD in the 2ac5 mech, GDC. EDIT: oh, nevermind you had 2ERLL's, not MLs (but you can still fit on Endo for 3 more tons)

8. GDCarlyle

GDCarlyle Junior Member

Yah I saw that and changed it. Its a hard mech to play with given that you are stuck with a 65 ton mech that doesn't like XL engines.

If you could make something work though... it could be rewarding.

9. Novarum

Novarum New Member

Seems like this would make a great long range sniper mech with the Dual AMS and shoulder mounted lazers.

This perhaps?

10. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Active Member

It seems sinful to leave so many weapon points unused. Curses!

11. AdultPuppetShow

AdultPuppetShow New Member

12. Sucitraf

Sucitraf Well-Known Member

I recently spent most of my C-Bills, so this build has budget in mind (using parts I have, it's pretty cheap :) I think I only really have to pay for Endo-Steel).

Yes, it isn't using a 300 rated engine, so it's a bit slower, but it could have some fun brawling potential. I haven't played Thunderbolts yet, so we'll see how it works in practice once I get my free one!

Note: I cannot recall how much AMS ammo you should put in the mech. I thought someone said you should have 2 tons per AMS, but I could also be going crazy. Usually, I only have 1 ton, and 1 ams (or none on my tiny lights). The same goes for the LBX ammo, on my Atlas D-DC, I go through ammo fairly quickly, but I wouldn't know how much I would use on this mech until I tried it. I tossed in the SRM6 as a fun bit of extra damage, although, you could probably grab a SRM 4, and get an extra ton of ammo/heatsink if you worry about ammo/heat.

Edit: I think actually, it may work better with an extra ton of SRM ammo, either by removing a heat sink, getting rid of some other ammo, or getting that SRM 4, especially with the cooldown buff, it may not be too much of a tradeoff.

Edit 2: Yea, I think I would get rid of at least 1 of those extra AMS ammo. Goes to show that you shouldn't post when you are exhausted. Good night! If I remember, I may post a "Scout-Smacker" Mark II build, or whatever I want to call it.

13. Spheroid

Spheroid Well-Known Member

Here is what I probably going to build. It mirrors my 5S but using the additional hardpoints. I am going to build it without Artemis first and test it before adding it.

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

I'd build it very similar to yours but going hotter:

I also thought about using the 10'tubes Launcher for assistive Missile support.

15. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Uh...guess I'm going to try something like this:

2 AMS Version:

Sweet sweet brawling ^_^

...or....

XL + 2PPC (AWS-9M 3.0):

16. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

Now if we can get the JJ on this also. :D
    You can get the Hotrod colors for 50% off also.
    All my Phoenix Mech variants have Hotrod colors for free though.

17. Article66

Article66 New Member

Pretty new to the game but am enjoying the mech building side of things a lot.
    Thanks for everyone on here to open my eyes on the variation in the game!

Excited with this new mech as it seems to be like a mini Atlas, so here is my 1st build here.

TDR-9S MiniBoarsHead (1x LRM20, 1x LLas, 1x AC5, 4x MLas)

I set it up the same as my AS7-BH, with Group 1 containing the AC5 and LLas, Group 2 the 4x MLas, and Group 3 the LRM20. So I fire at long range with the left mouse, close range with right, alpha with left and right then LRM rain with the middle mouse button.

Makes for an easy transition from assault to heavy :p
    Comments are always welcome...

18. Spheroid

Spheroid Well-Known Member

I would drop BAP to gain tonnage towards dual AMS, a trademark of this variant.

19. Ghost Badger

Ghost Badger Junior Member

I know I'll be running this:

It's basically identical to my Firebrand build, except it runs a heatsink hotter in trade for the second AMS.

That same Firebrand netted me a 1500+ damage game 2 day ago.

I might enjoy this new T-Bolt :)

20. LT Satisfactory

still not sure about these XLs...