The Best Victor Variant [Vote+Discussion]

Thread in 'Victor' started by Blagg Zear, Feb 13, 2014.

How many "Stars" from 1 (terrible) to 3 (great) would you give each Victor Variant? [1 Vot

1. VTR-9B 1 Star

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. VTR-9B 2 Stars

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. VTR-9B 3 Stars

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  4. VTR-9K 1 Star

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. VTR-9K 2 Stars

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. VTR-9K 3 Stars

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. VTR-9S 1 Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. VTR-9S 2 Stars

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  9. VTR-9S 3 Stars

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  10. VTR-DS 1 Star

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  11. VTR-DS 2 Stars

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  12. VTR-DS 3 Stars

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Hi everybody,

i'm interested in how favorite the Variants of each Mech are among us. Starting with the Victor this vote lets you give your opinion about the Variants. Do you find them Great? ok-ish? or simply terrible?

Simply give each Variant a vote from 1 - 3 Stars. Definitely we all have different opinions on them, but surely there is one most favorite Variant of them all. So pls join the Vote and if possible add some comments (+arguments) in this thread. I want to know, WHY-tf you like them, or not. Tell me! :rolleyes:

Blagg

p.s. Enjoy the bash on the crappy Variants! :rofl:

[​IMG]

2. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

VTR-9B for the win! Freakin' love this thing! I don't need a third missile hardpoint with only two tubes, however, I do enjoy a third ballistic on occasion! Same for the 9K. The solo ballistic is a bit sad for a Vic, but, the third arm mounted energy hardpoint gives some nice builds.

However, it's pretty sad that the "Hero" mech is the least viable of all the variants! You can mount a slightly larger engine (only gaining 3.3kph) and the main firepower that is mounted on the articulated arms in all other variants is moved to the torso?? No, thanks.

Only reason for a DS is the shoulder mounted energy hardpoints make jump sniping easier with a higher slot... Not worth it in my book. I'd rather have the agility from arm mounted weapon systems. These Assault mechs are INCREDIBLY survivable. Even with XLs. They agility they possess gives them the chance to spread damage like no other 65T+ mech. Giving that great survivability arm mounted weapons increases said survivability tenfold! Not only can you spread the damage that you receive, but, you can pull off some GREAT hop and pop tactics while brawling.

9B FTW.

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Chatt.. you are talking exactly what i am thinking. 9B for the Win!!!

4. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

The Dragon Slayer is my favorite mech at the moment (and since quite some time). The hardpoints don't look that great on paper and I had to experiment quite a bit to find a perfect loadout for him. But once it klicked it's a great mech. In my case it was the hindsight that using all of the torso energy hardpoints isn't compulsory. Ever tried 2x AC5 + LLas (arms) and a single PPC and double SSRM2s in the torso? Marvelous build! Not being able to mount a massive AC20 is balanced for me by double ballistics available in fully actuated arms. Other than that, double shoulder mounted PPCs (as mentioned by Chatt) in combination with double AC5s in the right arm are making this my favorite poptart besides my Heavy Metal.

Allthough I love all the VTRs (see my sig ;)) I sold the K for being the least flexible one for my style. I am currently running the 9B in my 'Executor' build while using the 9S for experimenting quite a lot. An AC20 is my basis for this while I tend to shuffle the energy weapons and missiles quite a bit. Even 2x MLas + LRM20+A works nicely here while 2x LLas + 3x SSRM2 seems to be my current favorite.

I gave three stars to all variants I am still owning. A five-star system probably would have been better for better distinguishing the variants. The 9K would have gotten three stars from me, for the 9S four and both the 9B and DS would sit at full stars in my rating.

5. Business

Business Advanced Member

Can't speak for the DS but the three main variants are all excellent.

The 9S would be the hands down favorite if SRMs were worth a goddamn thing anymore. Even then it's my most effective mech for winning and killing.

6. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much what keeps the 9S from being a 3-star variant for me in this rating system as well.

7. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Fact is, due to the limited number of tubes on the 9S (10, 5, and 2), any missile builds are pretty much restricted to streak builds, with one common exception being a large LRM pack (usually a 20) paired with 2 Streaks. But Streaks and LRMs are working fine at this point, (to my knowledge anyway), so I really don't consider this to be a problem myself.
    The way I've always seen it, running close range builds on Victors is a bad move anyway, since they really don't have the armor for sustained brawling. Pop-tarting and jump-sniping are your best options, in which case you ignore the missile hardpoints entirely.

My vote was 3 each for the 9B and 9S, and only 2 each for the 9K and the DS. I've actually never run the DS, but the mixed up energy hard-points don't appeal to me, no matter what build I put on it in Smurfy. And the 9K, on the other hand, is actually a really great 'Mech; Gauss and 2xPPC works like a charm, and you can even carry a MLaser for backup due to the third Energy hard-point. It's only downside is not being able to load 2 Ballistics (i.e. 2 AC-5 cheeze) which is why I left it one star down.

8. Business

Business Advanced Member

Funny, that is the singular purpose of my 9S in all the games I've dropped with it. 84kph, jj, 480pts of armor and 62pt alpha is an unmatched mix of speed, armor, power and mobility. Best brawler I've ever used

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

I gave the 9S 3 Stars because you can load Double UACs and Triple SSRM.Launchers. Check out my Ultraman build with high Mobility..

10. Falconium

Out of curiosity, what's the build? I tried to match all that, and all I got was this: 1xAC20, 2xLL, and 3xSRM4, with an XL 375, 1 JJ, very little ammo, and a heat efficiency I wouldn't put on a light, let alone a brawling assault. Just wondering how you built this . . .
    http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=90&l=4da68ca8e8e8887b9f6b8c7b70b074f1b2bd0107

(And yes, I do know how to put a Smurfy link, it just didn't seem necessary here.)

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

.. Hmmm.. I came to this build:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  12. Falconium

Yeah, that definitely looks better than what I had put together! lol
    It's still very low on ammo, and with just MLas for backup when you run out, it's max damage and overall efficiency in a sustained brawl seems rather lacking, imho. I would probably drop the AMS and half a ton of armor from the legs for 2 more tons of ammo. But yeah, I can see how this could work.
    Still, I'd take my SRM24 Brawler Build Stalker before this any day. :)

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

My favorite 9S BFG.Builds are these:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  14. knightwolf47

knightwolf47 Active Member

I am definitely torn here. The Victor overall has to be one of my favorite chassis at the moment, helping me make the transition from lumbering mechs to more speedy chassis and variants. The only downside to this chassis is when you wind up being the only assault on a team with at least 2 or more heavier assaults that are much better at standing and dueling.

The 9S is definitely a favorite, I ran up a pretty good score with just the stock variant before upgrading. In the 9K vs DS comparison, I'm kinda torn between the two. The Dragon Slayer is quite fun with the dual ballistic mounts, I run Vergere's "Autocannon 5" variant the most often, but the K is nice to have that triple laser mount in the arm for easier weapons grouping. I actually have not tried the 9B yet, but look forward to the potentials with that variant.

Close range actually isn't that bad in the Victor, the original variants all have close range weapons. However, Falconium is right about the dangers of sustained brawling. I've killed several Victors with my Atlases when they attempt to stand and duel, but on the other hand I've done reasonably well with the 9S loaded out with an AC20, 2 Larges and a triple streak mount while in close range situations. The Streaks effectively allow you to use the arm targeting reticle to aim all of your weapons, good for tagging those light mechs and pinpointing on larger ones. The key with all of the Victors that I've found is to keep your speed up and avoid standing still as much as possible, using what I've dubbed the "crouching tiger, rabid bunny" style of hit and run attacks.

On a related note, what is everyone's opinion on having dual Ultra-5s versus the AC20 on the mechs that can handle them?

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast