To The Victors - Weekend Tournament

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by WhoopieMonster, Nov 21, 2014.

1. WhoopieMonster

WhoopieMonster Advanced Member

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Starts: FRIDAY NOVEMBER 21st 10:00:00 AM (PST)
    Ends: MONDAY NOVEMBER 24th 10:00:00 AM (PST)

A tricky rules set for me. Kills and assist aren't hard to come by, but survival isn't really my strong point! Might make certain light mechs less desirable. Any other thoughts or suggestions on how best to achieve this with minimum effor? ;)

I suspect heavy LRM useage being the most obvious choice...

I look forward to trying to get me a Victor. I'm fairly light on the IS mechs, being a Clan player primarily.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Spider 5D time, a survivalist mech with that hitboxes, plus the ECM :) Conquest time :depressed: Kill one, assist will come anyway, win either by points or covering with ECM the others, super fast wait time most lickely -> more matches to try. In conquest once you kill one you can win by point (and so survive) more often.

I don't care about the victor...but that xl350 inside...

3. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Yeah, I'm going conquest too this weekend as it is highest survival chance but not sure in which mech. Pugging the 5D but group, hmm. Will see, a Crow maybe.

LRMzillas will probably be fielded so will do some Foxes too.

4. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Like most tournaments RVL-3L will do just fine here :ninja:

5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Very nice idea, I like it. Tricky indeed, but hopefully this prevents me from doing one of my mindless rushes. :angelic::smuggrin::thumbsup:

WhoopieMonster likes this.
  6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

What's so tricky about surviving a winning game? This challenge is the easiest ever.

7. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

depends on the usual weight played, on light/medium I agree, but on a correctly piloted heavy or assaults there's always the chance to die in a winning game as you should lead the charge.

of course lights are almost always alive when winning and that's why I'm going with them.

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Indeed.
    (and that makes me fear the game will be even more cowardly than usual :shifty: )
    (I also fear it will turn into cap races)
    (in a word, I fear players will, like always, behave like morons for the sake of this challenge)

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

That makes me think of the best challenge format, and I found it.

They should only reveal it at the end, only saying "there is a challenge this weekend, play well and have fun". As long as the formula isn't retarded and the point cap not too high it should work fine, for the better enjoyment of everyone.

Well, that is if they wanted us to win stuff.
    But they look more interested in gathering metrics on how their player base behave like circus dogs promised a cookie. Which is truly pathetic to be honest.

Excalibaard, PyckenZot and Motörhead like this.
  10. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

That's a really nice idea, or having the final match score count as your score, so you rack it up the way you prefer. But yours add the thrill, I like it :D

And you can bet on your point 1, there will be pussy games everywhere, since 1/2 of the heavy classes will boat lurms and stay back instead of tanking, that's why a light is always the best in this scenario, I don't want to be the sacrifical victim playing correct way an assault, and I don't like to use lurms on challenges (I like from time to time in solo drops but was very long time I didn't use them, actually having fun with LRM45/cSPL timber, because when you are close range you are a real deal with 24 instant pinpoint damage that cycles very fast, and well, outside 180m you lurm :artist:).

I might still do some drops in LRM45 timber, synergy works great in MWO.

11. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

About a year back we did something similar for a contest in BF4 on our servers. We told the playerbase there was a contest and they had to play their best and help the team win, but that the exact formula was going to be kept secret. Prizes were a high-end GPU, some games and VIP slots on the servers themselves.

Everyone had a good time trying to figure out how we calculated the scores but noone actually figured it. We had a combination of:
    Capture flags
    Defend flags
    Heals
    Resurrections
    Engineering (repairing vehicles)

But we set it so it would only gather data when the server population was above 20 people to prevent statspadding and it weighed the numbers heavily to capture and defend. We completely ignored kills and deaths, focused on the teamplay which people noticed had a good effect on scores. So we emphasized the things that make up a good co-operative team. I would have loved being able to differentiate when they helped a blue guy and not a green (ie, not a squadmember but a member of the team).

So yeah, I'd have liked them to hold it a secret and award some weight system on kill assists, saviour kills and other teamplay measures.

12. WhoopieMonster

It makes a certain amount of sense. Unless your a completionist.

Not knowing how scoring works or how long it will take can lead to frustration when you need to plan your weekend and can't just dedicate your time until you are done. Do I want to spend every moment of my spare time playing mwo? Not really. Would I like to have a go at completing a tournament? Sure. Kinda hard to do if you have no idea of the criteria or time investment required.

Don't get me wrong it is a cool idea and would make for an interesting challenge but if I need to dedicate time to something I'd like to know I'm not wasting time as the way I play the game doesn't suit the challenge. Take this weekends challenge, I'm normally a very aggressive player and often put myself in do or die situations, some times by design, some times by derping. But dying in most of my matches isn't uncommon. I could play dozens of games, get kills, assists, damage etc.. only to not get the Victor because I died to often. If my goal was to get the victor I would have failed through no fault of my own. That wouldn't be a fun way to spend the weekend.

13. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

you know what i'm going to lock myself in the study and learn BWV540/1 on the pipe organ, just because that's way less frustrating than what I expect this challenge is going to do my gastric ulcer again...

I already have the Victor 9S... I just wanna have fun.. pleeease... .

14. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Anyway I have few hours on Saturday and Sunday, I hope I can get the Victor playing mostly today and Monday, if not well, 3 days of premium is better then nothing.

15. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

All in all I agree that this is one of the easiest to date. You essentially need to win 20 times and live (doing so without getting at least 1 assist would make me question your playstyle) over the course of a weekend,...

Not getting the formula, whilst being an interesting idea, would bother me in the extreme as I hate having crosses in my challenge list (I have too many already imo,.. yups, a certain level of OCD here)

16. WhoopieMonster

PyckenZot, don't forget you need a kill too :)

17. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Indeed,... scrap the RVN-3L. Enter the fast high-alpha builds :stig:

18. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

The VTR-9S (C) comes with an XL350 if I am not mistaken. This plus essentially freeing a mechbay (since I do own the -9S since it came out) looks like a pretty good deal for farming money in either my 5LRM5 Golden Boy or the Ember... :sneaky:

19. Midnite7175

Midnite7175 Advanced Member

I know I will rpelace my already existing 9S with the Champion... no doubt. If I manage to play this weekend that is.

20. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Nice prize but.....

had day off and been playing Dragon Ages Inquisition madly... not convinced I can face this tournie. ;)

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast