UAC vs. LBX

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Gneckes31, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Gneckes31

Gneckes31 Well-Known Member

Just curious what people prefer these days, on the Clan side of things.

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I only have two clan mechs, but I've found the LBX5 and ERPPC combo on the Sun Spider to work better for me than the UAC5's. This is mostly because I don't run a macro program to just hold and fire the UAC5's, so I prefer the reliable fire rate and critical chance of the LBX5's.

3. Dagonus

Dagonus Moderator Staff Member

I like UACs when I have UAC bonuses or if I intend to engage at longer range. The spread on the LBX can be messy. That said, the more lasers and the closer the range, the more I use LBX to get my crits in.

4. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

Clan side LBX are very cool compared to UAC, but lack the ability to double tap, which is the reason why UAC are feared.

I tend to fit LBXs over UAC only when running hot builds (or when heat can become an issue), when I have other weapons capable of pinpointing damage (mostly lasers) or when timing is key (LBX20 and MPL have very close timings).

5. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I sometimes prefer to use both. LBX+UAC20 has no ghostheat for example, relatively low heat, but still has a doubletap for extra fear.

I use UACs more than LBXs on small ratings, because the jam chance is relatively short and the bullet hose is hella scary if the weapons are so light and small that you can mount so many of them.

cAC10 as also nice, though the other 'slug LBX' on the clan's side are kinda pointless.

6. IronEleven

IronEleven Active Member

One of my friends pointed out that without jam quirks, the cUAC/2 is a DPS loss over the cAC/2.

7. Excalibaard

imo cUACS SHOULD have a lower DPS than regular ACs when you take jams into account. They have double the burst, and during jams they can hide while regular ACs never jam and have to constantly fire to achieve that higher DPS. It really solidifies UAC, AC and LBX as Burst, DPS and Finisher weapon types.

8. Dagonus

That's a good way of looking at it, though quirks can slide the UAC and LBX into DPS real quick.

9. Excalibaard

quirks are a whole problem in and of itself in terms of how much they affect the game (MRM40 with 25% cooldown +12% from skill tree comes to mind)

10. Dagonus

At the same time though, without quirks, there'd be half as many viable mechs.

skribs likes this.
  11. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I'd prefer instead of set quirks, give underperforming mechs additional skills.

When the game was in beta, the Jenner K had an extra module slot to make up for having less hardpoints than the D variant.

Excalibaard likes this.
  12. Excalibaard

Totally agree, skribs. I like having maybe a few mech-specific quirks, like some mechs being better at acceleration, or the armor quirks to the Hunchback's RT or Centurion's Left Arm for example. However, they should not force a mech into one specific build.

I like having more skill points to balance it out, though skill points itself are still a bad mechanic.

I'd go as far as to say to add modules back, but this time not done stupidly. Old modules' problem wasn't the fact they cost a lot, it was that they buffed a single stat of a single weapon. Instead, have modules that give a broad amount of useful stats, much like you're now forced to take a path past other stats.
    A general 'mobility enhancement module' that boosts accel, decel and turn rate by 15% or something, 'Missile Reload module' increasing the cooldown but also the heat generated by missile weapons. Or a 'reactive coating' that reduces damage from laser fire by 10%. Then give underperforming mechs more slots to use.

skribs likes this.
  13. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I've thought about this, and I agree.

1. I think that the game would be a LOT better if you could save templates for your Mech, to where you can go back and forth between them. If you don't have the equipment available anymore, then you would simply get a warning that the template is going to cost X amount of C-Bills because of things you don't have. Part of the reason the cost of modules was justified is that you could swap them.
    2. I would have modules do a lot of what skills can do, and maybe have two types of modules, Major and Minor. Major modules would be things like Radar Dep, Target Decay, Consumable slot or bigger versions of minor modules. Minor modules might include:
    • Dexterity (torso twist rate/range, torso pitch range, arm twist range, hill climb)
    • Agility (Acceleration, deceleration, anchor turn, speed retention)
    • Armor and Structure
    • Speed Tweak
    • Cooldown (all)
    • Range (all)
    • Heat Generation (all)
    • Accuracy (Missile/LBX spread, laser duration, velocity, minimum Gauss charge)
    • Weapon Use (RAC/UAC Jam, Missile Lock Time, Flamer/RAC duration, Maximum Gauss Charge)
    • Sensor Boost (range, target info gathering)
    • 360 Target
    Division 1 Mechs might get nothing, or a single minor module. Division 2 mechs might get one of each. Division 7 mechs might get a handful of each. And they would be re-evaluated every few months.

anonymized1 and Excalibaard like this.
  14. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

I've wanted this for sooooo long.

skribs likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast