Upgrading my video card and general PC clusterf*^%

Discussion in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by Durandal, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Durandal

Durandal Legendary Member

So, in helping my fiancee find ideas for building a new gaming rig, I found myself wishing that I could upgrade some parts of my PC. Currently, this is what I have running as far as CPU/Mobo/Power/RAM:

ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
    Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 Desktop Processor

And here's my GPU:
    EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Now, I'm looking at upgrading the GPU to something with a bit more oomph, so I can stream better content. Since I have the cash to do it, I've been considering going to a GTX 970 SLI (2x) setup, but I'd like to get some feedback from anyone with similar or better cards.

Before anyone mentions it, I would prefer to go with Nvidia, simply because I have had awful luck with Radeon cards in the past...I've never had one go more than 6 months without having some critical error that bricked the board, and even though they've covered it under warranty every time, it's been aggravating...and it's killed my interest in them over the years. That said, if you can give me a good enough reason (with stats to back it up), I'd consider it.

So...thoughts?

2. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

I am looking at the same, amd the 970 x2 was my plan as well. Although the GTX 1000 series may be out before I have the dough to shell out...

3. Remarius

Remarius Space Pimp

Well the 960 is rumoured to be out soon but its a bit hard to predict anything at the moment as Nvidia are really holding on their single competitor...

Friends have given very good reports on the 970, and the main reviews seem to bear that out, but they're not running them SLI.

4. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

The Verge likes this.
  5. Durandal

Hehe I actually have that whole review pulled up in another tab already, was just wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with MWO ;) I've also never done an SLI setup before...know I have the slots for it, but I'm slightly ignorant of how to put it all together, so I have to make sure I've got all the cables and such ready to go beforehand.

I also want to get a decent capture card so I can hook up my PS3/PS4/Xbox and stream those before the next Extra Life charity stream event, but not sure if I'll have the slots for that AND the SLI cards...

6. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

I looked at the 900 series... but I'm holding off until later this year until Star Citizen gets more refined on requirements and building specifically for it. I already have a 780 Ti and it thinks MWO graphics are a joke; doesn't even sweat on it. Except when the coding is bad and then it chugs but that only happens all the time.

7. Durandal

Sorry, I should've clarified, how it works with MWO and streaming. My current card works great with MWO, but when I try to stream on twitch, it starts to chug.

8. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Hm, are you sure it is your GPU and not software? Because I am streaming with the same CPU and a HD7970.

The Verge likes this.
  9. Durandal

Could be...in that case I just periodically upgrade bit by bit until my rig melts faces again ;)

10. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

What software are you using to stream and whats your realistic up/down net speed?

11. Durandal

About 18 Mbps down and 3 Mbps upload, I tend to use OBS to stream.

12. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

I would suspect your upload rather then your GPU, OBS is heavy on CPU power but I haven't had any issues with my processor, even when we tested streaming to Hitbox with 4000 bitrate and above my CPU didn't flinch. Can't see why you should have CPU issues. :p

If you want to, we can check your OBS settings?

Bitrate?
    Check which server you are connecting to, closest?
    Do you save to file? Could cost some performance.
    Which resolution are you gaming in?
    Do you downscale it in OBS? If so, how much?
    Which FPS do you record in?
    Multithread optimization checked?
    X264 CPU Preset?

That's the ones I recall as being most important, at least from work. When I get home I might add more.

What made you suspect the GPU to begin with?

13. Durandal

2200 (scaled it down to that since it was a bit jumpy)
    US Central, Dallas (closest I have to CO)
    No saving to file.
    1920x1080, no downscaling in OBS.
    30 FPS
    Yes, set to Normal, scene buffering time is 700ms.
    x264 is set to Very Fast

As for GPU, main reason I suspect it is from some hangups in other games. MWO is fine most of the time, but BF4 for instance can have some major problems when the fight starts happening. At first I thought it was a temperature issue, but I used the EVGA control panel to boost the fan speed and keep the temp down, and things didn't change. Now, it could be a hangup somewhere else in the computer, but none of my diagnostics or tests on the rest of the PC have come up with any real results.

14. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Thanks for the info, helps understand the full picture. :)

There's a setting somewhere in advanced section that forces OBS to use GPU, might want to doublecheck that is not selected...hmm.."Use Quicksync" or "Use NVIDIA NVSENC" or something like that?

Describe the hangup, when the GPU starts to chug as you call it? Frame rate goes down, graphical artifacts, GPU goes to 100% useage?

Edit: If you don't feel like going over it, no worries, I know the frustration of tech problems. :p

15. Remarius

Remarius Space Pimp

Ok this query I can handle as I SLI Titan's and use Shadowplay I just don't have specific 970/980 experience! ;)

Go DX11 and there are now specific MWO SLI profiles so it handles them well. Shadowplay (for me at least) gives very little performance hit.

16. Durandal

Found the NVSENC option, it's in a selection of encoders...x264 was selected anyway, couple other options there:

[​IMG]

When it chugs, I'll get some definite framerate drops, but in worst case scenarios it will completely lock up, which gets me killed all too often ;) In most games I've never had any artifacting (though MWO I have a lot of buggy graphics where parts of the landscape pop in and out of existence, but I think that's something more related to buggy code here). GPU usage tends to be anywhere from 95-100% any time that happens, yes. It's probably made worse by the fact that I run 2 monitors, so I almost always tend to have something running on the other screen (music, at the very least). It's an ADD thing ;)

17. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Hm...OBS is likely unrelated, we've gone over the obvious settings and connections to that particular software. Weird that the issue crops up when streaming though...

It could be a general stress on your PC as a whole which happens during gaming, there's a lot more data to process when streaming and it could interfere and cause your GPU to work unecessarily hard at peak loads trying to deliver frames but getting pushed back and causing that freeze. Typically when streaming you stress CPU, RAM, Windows memory exchange drivers, the harddrive where you house the Windows installation and files, etc. This could certainly interfere with gaming processes.

How many and which type of drives do you have, mechanical or SSD?
    Where is OS, swap files (commonly on C drive), MWO installed?

Have you tried streaming with minimum load, no extra software running?

I don't know which diagnostics tools you have run but CPUID has some of the best. CPU-Z contains a log function which is very useful. If you have that running and see that CPU, RAM and GPU max out during a freeze I would perhaps not blame the GPU alone. Though failure on the GPU to deliver frames could spike the others I suppose but more likely that the GPU would be maxed and the others waiting for data.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html

I have three screens myself and often have music/streams/whatnot on monitor 2 and loads of coms/diag software on monitor 3. So you are not alone. ;)

18. Durandal

2 drives, C is a SSD drive with OS and Swap file, MWO is on the second (mechanical) HD since I only keep a few major programs on the C drive.

And no, I haven't ;)

19. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

Also could be faulty hardware. I had a bad driver burn a video card and I couldn't play MWO without a full system crash until I got a new one.

20. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Absolutely, it can be a number of different issues that only appears under load. Could be these are the first signs of emerging, larger hardware failures. But for now, I will not assume much. If Durandal runs a test with GPU-Z it will reveal much, aswell as a minimum load.

Up to him. :)