USER BUILD: Aware's HBK-4SP Hunchback "Baller"

Discussion in 'Mech Build and System Tests' started by Michael, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFtvn2OK8J4

Wanna roll through your match with 50 tons of fury? This little bad boy is all beams and broadsides with the 4x MLas and 2x SRM6+Artemis weapon systems. The Baller Build was a pleasure to purchase and test out and, believe me, it is one tough, bad ass, little medium on the battlefield.

I could have sat there grinding and grinding until I got 4-5 kills with this thing but after deciding I wanted to FRAPs it I did one match with only the BASICs unlocked and pulled 500+ damage in it. This little engine of death can carry its weight on the battlefield and I suppose that shouldn't come as a surprise being that it is the product of great minds competing in the Run Hot or Die league.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=22&l=69e4b6b7b5948ecd2f5a35361d459348e146cd7b

RECOMMENDED ROLE: Skirmisher / Small Brawler
    TOTAL PRICE: 8,125,817 cbills (including STD engine and all weapons/ammo)

STRENGTHS
    • Standard Engine = Survivable as a mofo. Even with your RT or LT blown off! Yes you could add an XL engine and increase your speed well into the 90s but why? This mech is already plenty fast and as a skirmisher you want to be able to take a few hits as you get in and out.
    • The weapons systems on board pack a MEAN wallop at 270m or less! Your medium lasers will allow you to hit out at further ranges, and I have killed enemies with a well placed lucky shot at 400-500m but your main boom happens at

2. The Verge

The Verge Administrator Staff Member

great video and guide on this mech. I finally sub'd as well.

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

The HBK's engine cap at 260 makes it kinda useless anyway, to sacrifice survivability to gain 4km/h.
    STD260 is just 1t heavier than the 250, you can achieve max speed if you trade a DHS or ammo.

Nice video. I have to confess mine was sleeping in the garage for months, now I want to run it again.

4. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

Actually I would suggest having a MLas at the head, or moving one there. That way you can even zombie. Oh, that and AMS.

5. Michael

I have been doing testing on this all morning guys thanks for the feedback. After 2 hours of testing here are my conclusions...

ADDING AMS
    This simply didn't work out the way one might think it would. Having to add .5 tons for the AMS system and 1 ton for the ammo really reduced the available tonnage to work with. Either I had to downgrade the engine a lot in order to get it to fit, thus reducing my speed and effectiveness, or I had to reduce my armor by a fair bit and the engine by a little bit. Overall I found it was more effective to use cover or an existing AMS umbrella from friendlies rather than try and fit AMS myself.

GOING ZOMBIE
    I liked this idea when I read it and, while I prefer to feature all builds from users the way they post them, thought I would give it a try! I have mixed results and mixed feelings here. Sure it is great to be able to continue to fight with that medium laser if/when my other weapons are blown out but I found it really only effective when I was actually in zombie mode.

Two things happened here; I was forced to move the ton of SRM ammo from the head to somewhere else and found it causing explosions all the time, even in the legs. Sometimes, when it was in the legs, I would lose my launchers before I lost the ammo (due to how ammo is used from the top down) and thus I was sitting on a bomb. I don't know if that was a fluke or not.

I also noticed that the heat efficiency of the mech, in a sustained firefight, was reduced due to the fact that while my arm weapons could easily track a fast mover, my head laser would fire doing no damage yet still generating heat. I suppose I could have had a group for my right arm, a group for my left arm and a group for the head but for me that is one group too many (for all the same weapons).

I prefer two (button #1) and two (button #2) on this build with my third group (button #3) going for the missiles. I suppose if you had a mouse with more buttons you could make this work more easily (shrugs).

TRADING A DHS OR AMMO FOR SPEED
    Mmmmmmm, not for me. I tried this as well (STD engines are so cheap why not LOL) but I found that losing the DHS made it even more difficult to stay on the knife edge and wasn't really worth the little bit of extra speed I eked out of it. You don't gain an internal DHS going from a 250 to a 260 so by taking off that DHS to add the engine you actually do noticeably lose heat efficiency. I then attempted to trade ammo and I ran dry on 2 out of 5 matches and had to rely on my surviving laser systems to continue to fight.

CONCLUSION
    I would say the original designer, whoever he, she, or they, is, knew exactly what they were doing. They really managed to balance the damage output, speed and survivability quite well, at least as far as my own playstyle.

6. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

THanks for the report! :)
    So maybe for this Mech AMS is not needed in this build!
    Also, interesting about the ammo explosion thing, never noticed so many times a hunchback got legged.
    Maybe I would just put a SLas in the head and hope for the best, using that exclusively for zombie.

7. Michael

That could be an ELO thing. I end up dropping in PUG matches against guys like TheMagician and other top tier players with super human aiming abilities. Those types of players will spot a loadout and compare it against a list of Meta builds in their head, instantly knowing I am not running an XL they would rather chew through my legs than try and core me in the CT (because my upper torso can spread the damage between front back and sides while the legs are the legs no matter what angle you hit them from).

Here is what I discovered from moving the ammo around...

AMMO IN ARM/TORSO:
    If I lose the arm or torso and the ammo explodes it tends to spread damage and so if its the arm then the arm is blown and the RT/LT is damaged; usually taking out one of my SRM6s. If the ammo is in the torso then I lose the arm, the torso and it transfers damage to my CT which can then cause the ammo there to crit and I become a ball of fire.

AMMO IN THE LEG:
    Because of how ammo is used (from the top down) I find that if I put ammo in the legs then I use the ammo in the CT first and then the ammo in the leg right? But if the leg is gone and all my ammo from the CT is gone then my SRM6s become dead weight with no ammo. By keeping the ammo in the head you use that ton of ammo first then you start using the ammo in the CT, which is the most heavily armored part of the mech and the most protected ammo available.

8. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

How about ammo in the CT.
    Damage and critical chance is calculated first, then applied randomly into a part in the targeted area. So if you recieve a crit in the CT it would be on youe engine or other important part anyways even if it did not hit the ammo?
    Load your leg ammo into the HD and CT!!

9. Michael

There are already 3 tons of ammo on this mech, 1x in the Head and 2x in the CT so the CT is already full :)

10. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

Oh, your smurfy have them placed in the legs.

11. Michael

I'll check that when I'm at my desktop but if you watch the video I put my ammo in the head and ct

12. Aware

Aware Active Member

One year later I actually watch this video and notice it as well. Well done. Sadly the 4SP is overshadowed these days.