1. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

USER BUILD: HBK-4P Hunchback "Grimms Variant" (Chalkman Build)

Discussion in 'Mech Build and System Tests' started by Michael, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

This mech was originally posted by meeeee, was redone by Chalkman and then was dropped and tested by SubjectSeven!

RECOMMENDED ROLE: Skirmisher
    TOTAL PRICE: 10,748,151 CBills
    DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Advanced Gunnery Required

STRENGTHS:
    • Fastest speed possible for the 4P
    • No ammo required for offensive systems
    • Stock armor values mean no fiddling
    • Significant alpha strike for the weight class
    • Good mix of ranges between the MLas and LLas
    • Does run an AMS system to help mitigate LRMs
    DRAWBACKS:
    • Extremely poor heat dissipation ability
    • XL Engines are expensive and vulnerable
    • Lose the hunch and lose ALL your MLas
    • Expensive build; XL Engine + Endo + DHS

I originally built this machine after having watched someone play and heard a rumour or two about what they were running; turns out that this wasn't the build the guy was running and I can totally see why. While this mech does pack a wallop it simply doesn't have enough head dissipation to handle any sort of sustained firefight, especially on hot maps like Tourmaline.

This machine requires a pilot with excellent heat discipline and situational awareness as well as a little fitness with the trigger finger. With only 16 DHS you can really spike the heat quickly when leaning on all your beams at one time so save that stuff for the highlight reels and work either your LLas at range or your MLas at medium/close range and only utilize both when you have an "oh shit" moment.

Cold maps and Coolshot are your friends.

This build can be discussed here: Grimm's Variant (Chalkman Build)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  2. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

I think that the expensive XL engine con is somewhat mitigated for people who got an SHD-5M as the engine comes with that mech (And you're likely to swap it out for something bigger or the XL280 on that mech anyway)

Also: I tend to do fiddle around with the armor, I go to 42/6 or even 44/4 distribution on the hunch, because the front is so much larger and the back of your hunch will scarcely be hit. I found the armor shift to be pretty effective.

Thanks for posting :)

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I have to say I'm impressed by SubjectSeven's heat discipline.