VND-1R "Cranberry" (1x SRM4, 5x MLas, 3x JJs, AMS, ST235)
4/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'VND-1R' started by don Zappo, Nov 15, 2014.

1. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

I'm trying very much to find what role Vindicators fill in the era of quirks. Obviously this variant is meant to be a medium laser boat. If you want to stick all five lasers in there and still have decent heat, going standard seems to be the way to go. Zombie Vinds? Maybe it's the new meta! On the plus side, it is totally cheap to build and is quirk-tastic. Maybe this Vind isn't just the red-headed stepchild of the family anymore.

Medium Laser Range +20%
    Energy Weapon Range +10%
    Medium Laser Cooldown +20%
    Energy Weapon Cooldown +10%
    Medium Laser Duration -20%
    Laser Weapon Duration -10%

2. don Zappo

This mech has the possibility of being a medium tank, similar to what the HBK-4SP does. I've always had very good luck spreading the damage around my vindicators so they can take a lot of punches. With the JJs you get to use your legs to tank as well. With the great torso buffs that the HBK-4SP got it still might be the better tank, but these MLas do fire out at 324 meters without any modules which is pretty damned good.

I do think that the Vinds need a quirk pass overall, but I think the ones for this mech might be pretty spot on.

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

The Loadout is awesome, BUT you need as much cooling as possible, because none of the MLas Quirks provides Cooling Efficiency Buff. With the increased Cooldowntime Overheating is gonna happen faster. I'd build it like this:

Instead AMS, just go for the Radar Module and stay in the shades.

Marukeru likes this.
  4. don Zappo

Good suggestions there, Blagg. You can get into situations with these support mechs where you can just crank out the constant dps and every bit helps. Single AMS isn't that useful on a skirmish type mech. I've just been scarred by all these missile heavy weekend tournies!

5. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

4/5,
    4/5 for a solid build that uses the Quirks nicely!

Currently running Blagg's variation due to slightly better HE.
    Looks to be a very fun layout, with a standard Engine keeping in the fray that much longer!

Though, aside from the Radar Dep, What might you guys recommend for Weapon Mods?
    I'm thinking ML Range would be beneficial as it would sync well with the Quirks. But what else? Wouldn't more Cooldown mean risking a lower HE? Should I consider an SRM4 Range/Cooldown?

6. don Zappo

Range and cool down for the mlas. It gives you the dps boost when you need it, and you can just lay off some lasers when you get too hot. There is no down side, really, as long as you are paying attention - it just gives you more options. Definitely better than any srm4 module as that is just a secondary weapon. I always try to support my main weapons as much as possible.

Along with radar dep I usually run seismic with my JJ capable mechs (that aren't super jumpers which need shock absorbers) as you actually get a reading every time you land. It is the closest you can come to cheating with flying mechs. I can't remember if this mech gets a third module upon mastery, but I it does... Target info gathering is solid, or the aforementioned shock absorbers.