1. Thanks for all your efforts with rating recently! You have helped a lot with making this site more user-friendly! There are still many builds that have not received a single rating though, so if you see a build with no stars, you know what to do ;)!
    -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

VR headsets

Discussion in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by PyckenZot, Apr 22, 2015.

1. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Having just had my first taste with a VR headset in 20 years. I believe we need to start this thread as I for one am certainly getting one.

Whilst my previous experience was nothing more than a polygon fps shooter back in the early nineties and proved nothing more than a novelty, using the Oculus DK2 was quite the opposite. The visuals were already impressive, but it is the immersion that got me. I never had imagined the effect this thing could have. Whilst (being a biologist) I assumed my brain would have a hard time coping with seeing movement whilst not moving, I was completely wrong. You just react to the visual movement. Rollercoaster jitters, counteracting tight turns and the sort. These things will lift gaming to a whole other level yet I have some reservations:

1-The immersion is complete, I can imagine people locking themselves away from the real world with this (eg. we already have gamers starving themselves to death without VR goggles,...)
    2-You have no idea of your real surroundings,... the missus might be having a stroke next to you. You'd never know,...
    3-You'll need a safety-belt on your gaming chair. I already counterbalanced on a virtual rollercoaster, I can only imagine what I'd be doing in a Star Citizen dogfight,...

TL : DR
    I'm getting one :stig:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    The Verge likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

I've been thinking of this for star citizen rather than a three monitor display setup and once the public version is released its something I might get. Still want to try before I buy though as nausia would suck on a $500 piece of equipment. Plus I just got a 1440p 27" lol

3. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

4. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

5. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

PROBLEM:
    Where do I go to get myself prepared for this even if I get the hardware.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That and I will have to fix my fingers first.
    [​IMG]

6. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

From experience, seat belts would be enough,... and required!

[​IMG]

7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

I'm also excited to get some VR Goggles! Will get some, when they are affordable for cheap money. :D

But you know what? I tried something very cool with MWO - i put a USB Stick with a MWO Gameplay Capture into my brand new 3D TV and setting the Virtual 3D function on with maximum depth, activated my Shutter Glasses and then watching the Gameplay Clip - WOW, MWO looks so awesome with FullHD 3D Immersion. Soo epic. Can't show/explain the 3D Effects, you need to try it yourself, if you have a 3D TV with USB Media Playback + Virtual 2Dto3D Support. Too bad i can't get the Virtual 3D with satisfying picture quality results when i connect my Gaming Rig via HDMI - my TV automatically sets to shitty low Resolution when running the Virtual 3D option during PC Mode, even when Windows is set to native Full HD Res. I think the Video Signal during PC Connection is different then just playing a mp4 file from the integrated Media Player.

Anyways, hardcore gamers definitely need the Oculus Rift VR Goggles for super immersive gameplay! :D

PyckenZot and SkiDog like this.
  8. SkiDog

SkiDog Moderator Staff Member

@Blagg Zear I have done this with My LG 3Dtv... It does a pretty good job with the conversion, but then why not cap the actual==> stereo video?,<==

Blagg Zear likes this.
  9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

Thxx for the tip. Well, i just spontaneously tried out the Conversion Stuff with my TV. But for real, i wish a true 3D Support from the Devs ingame.

Have you already done it before with Fraps? I mean, how is the performance hit when capturing with 3D Stereoscopic View?

10. SkiDog

SkiDog Moderator Staff Member

I haven't tried it with MWO yet, I have done this with other games through NVIDIa's 3d API though with other led system intensive games, and it has worked fine.