What's with the 3M?

Thread in 'Locust' started by SirBurntChicken, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SirBurntChicken

SirBurntChicken Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 3M. After the last quirk pass the 1E outperforms it in dps, alpha, range and heat. Only thing the 3M has is dual AMS and that takes up too much weight on such a small mech. I have thought the better cool down might help me get two alphas rather than one on some unsuspecting whale before it notices, but that hasn't worked as well as I thought it would.

I've tried my typical 5 ml's and 5 spl's. Tried 2 mpl's, 2 spl's, and a sl. They all work ok, but leave me feeling meh compared to the 1E. I finally said to hell with it and put on 5 sl's, dual AMS with a ton of ammo, and a bap. Surprisingly, it seems to work better than load outs with higher firepower, but that's because I'm playing it differently. I'm still trying to figure out new load outs that might work better. Any ideas?

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

batmobile build. 2x LL, 2x ML.

3. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Thought along the same line... but he ment the Locust. ;)

4. SirBurntChicken

Uhhhh, don't think that's even possible with a Locust...

I am thinking of an XL180, 1 LL or ERLL, and 4 sl's. It'll use all the energy slots and have a weapon with good range. If it works well I'll sell my 1V.

5. Stooge 3

Stooge 3 Junior Member

I run 4 MLs with the dual AMS, it's not bad, just not amazing either. I could see it having more functionality in the group queue if you ran as a spotter as well as covering with the AMS, but in the public drops I'm still trying to find something I really like.

6. SirBurntChicken

Before quirks I ran it with 5 ml's and a bap and it was only ok, but still fun. It had good alpha, good range, and good dps. The problem is heat. You burn through it pretty quickly and are left with only using 1 or 2 ml's or running away. Spl's, on the other hand, give you good heat but the range is terrible.

I played one match with 1 ll and 4 sl's. It was a 4-12 loss, but even with that I did bad. 183 damage. Have to try a few more times...

7. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Honestly, I just run 5 SPL in my 3M and call it done. The 1E surpasses it in every way with the 6 SPL build, but the 3M is still effective. Frighteningly so, actually:

[​IMG]

I use the 1E as my go-to Locust, so the 3M has fewer matches, but I did really well in just about every single one of them. It's an effective build that can tear shit up, so it still works fine. It just can't tear shit up quite as well as my 1E can now.

8. Dauphni

Dauphni New Member

I'm running my 3M as a scouting/spotting mech, and that seems to work decently enough. TAG in the centre slot, 4 SPLs in the arms in case someone decides to come after me. The c-bill and xp rewards are great, and while it doesn't do too much damage a good spotter can turn the tide of battle by itself, especially with PUGs. My W/L with this setup speaks to that. And of course watching opponents go down after all you did was point a faint red beam at them never gets old.

9. SirBurntChicken

I really wish they'd give it some wacky utility quirks like to AMS or sensor range or target decay.

epikt likes this.
  10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

An AMS quirk would be lovely.

I personally kept the 5 SPLas build on the -3M, but since it can't compete with the -1E anymore I decided to downgrade the engine to 180 and mount the double AMS.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast