Would the game be better off without any skill system?

Discussion in 'General MWO Discussion' started by skribs, Mar 15, 2017.

1. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

I'll probably make a similar thread on the PGI forums when I get home (I can get to Mechspecs at work, but not the official MWO website), but I'm becoming more and more convinced that if PGI just removed the current skill tree from the game, rolled the upgrades you get into base stats for the equipment, and unlocked all modules for all players by default, it would actually be of great benefit to the game of MWO.

New Players

New players would benefit because this means Rule of 3 is gone and they can get any Mech they want. They are also at slightly less of a disadvantage, as their Mechs start out in top form (as far as skills go), they can test builds on "mastered" versions of the Mech, and they will have an easier time getting modules for their first few Mechs. Removing the need to get 3 variants of a chassis to master the Mech would also help them get into faction warfare on a free-to-play account.

Veteran Players

Veteran players could try out new Mechs they haven't already bought with more success. They could more easily acquire Hero Mechs (i.e. if the Butterbee is on sale and I haven't leveled Catapults, oh well). When a new Mechpack comes out, they can purchase the new Mechs based on whether or not they want them, and won't be concerned with silly things like "I already have a bunch of Mechs to level." Tier 1 and Tier 2 players could bring Mechs into matches without worrying about leveling up a Mech (i.e. don't have to worry about starting off in an energy boat with no Cool Run), and drop decks could be outfitted with newer Mechs easier.

PGI

PGI would have to change how Champions work if XP is removed, but that wouldn't be too hard to fix. They could give a C-Bill bonus that is equal to or less than the current Special bonus (more likely a 10-15% bonus because they are cheaper than Heroes). They would also sell less MC, because nobody will be purchasing XP-GXP conversions.

However, PGI would probably sell more MC to buy hero mechs and more Mech Packs, or just more MC to buy Mechs and mastery packs, because nobody would be holding off on a purchase until they could level a Mech. If I didn't have a bunch of Mechs I'd gotten in previous packs waiting for me to level them up, I might have bought the Supernova, for example. As it is, I'll level up those Mechs and farm C-Bills and probably get the Supernova with those C-Bills in a few months.

Conclusion

Overall, I feel like all XP does is artificially gate us, and we already have C-Bills for that. The game already has customization in the form of the Mechlab, which is (I would argue) a bigger game-changer than any skill system I can imagine being implemented. I don't feel that MWO should be an RPG, it is a combat simulator of Mechs. Removing this would fix Rule of 3, it would fix the Pinpoint skill, and I think would actually make it easier to spend real money on the game just to buy more stuff, if I'm not worried about being XP locked on stuff I already have.

Excalibaard and Riscy like this.
  2. Riscy

Riscy Benefactor

Some of the most fun I have had in MWO has been Stock mode games with friends. All skills removed, no quirks just stock mechs. I think there is a place for some skills but not ones that increase damage output.

However, there needs to be some kind of metagame which makes us want to run different mechs. I tend to be levelling mechs solo, but if I am playing with friends then I just play my 'good' mechs that work well with that groups playstyle. If there was no skill tree I wouldn't run in the solo queue at all because what is the point?

I understand why people might not want a skill tree at all, but some feeling of progression is required as a reward for dropping in a mech. Without that I think MWO would lose quite a few players.

3. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

Farming CBills to buy new parts or mechs, testing builds, or just having fun with the game are reasons I would.

4. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

Considering what has been put forth as a 'skill system' so far, yes. No skill system would be best. Still there should be an XP sink.

Maybe unlocking the current 'modules' purely as heavy XP, and it's done per mech? Omitting firepower tweaks and incorporating movement differences in the mech designs itself (worse performing / lore supported mechs get more mobility) should take care of the inherent balance issues with a skill system. Though, with the current arrangement of weapons available, I can imagine that being boring for people. It also brings less incentive to actually extensively pilot new mechs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017