X5 "Scout/Skirmish Anti-ECM" (3xML, 2xSSRM2, TAG, BAP, XL325)

Thread in 'X5' started by YaoYaoYiffy, May 10, 2013.

1. YaoYaoYiffy

YaoYaoYiffy Active Member

This is the X-5 loadout I've been running to farm up cash for my eventual assault mechs.

I dropped one MLas for a TAG. Dropping a laser also drops heat, and that lets me get by with only the 2 DHS (more or less). The DHS are in the L and R Torso, hail marry that a critical hit knocks out one of those instead of the XL engine

The TAG supports the scout role of the mech, and slightly counters ECM. It also grants bonus credits (1,250-2,500), and the reason I run the X-5 is to bankroll my assaults anyways

The TAG is also good for quicker SSRM locks. When dueling light mechs it can be the difference between getting off your salvo or not. Losing a MLas drops 5 damage (1.25 dps), but how often can you really put a MLas on a 130+ kph mech while you're moving at 130+ yourself? Even if you can keep it on-target for half a second you're still only getting about 2.5 damage (.625 dps).

In comparison, if your TAG drifts across your foe for even a moment you gain a 50% decrease in lock-time against him for a second, and that's long enough to get a lock. And that lock gives you 2 SSRM launches at 3 damage (.86 dps) each, or 6 damage total (1.72 dps).

Adding an extra MLas would add more potential damage, but adding the TAG means I can actually score SSRM hits during brief passes where other light mechs only manage to hit me back with their lasers. Combine this slight edge on lock speed with the armor advantage the Cicada has over true lights, and you're not doing too bad. Actual damage > potential damage.

Oh, and let's not forget the other purpose of the TAG, all your allies' will get quicker locks and more accurate missiles!

I've loaded the BAP, right now it's a minor bonus to scouting, but primarily it's in preparation for the huge BAP buff coming soon. For the time being it's worth dropping the BAP for more ammo/engine/armor/DHS/an MPls.

The weapons don't give you true versatility, you have limited range. The most effective combat you can run is quick hit-and-runs. Once a close-up furball starts you can run in close, using your speed, quick-locks, and lasers to try to find enemies' juicy rear armor. Really it plays like pretty much any other non-ECM, non-JJ light mech.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I like this build, although if I'm only going 3ML and 2 SSRMs, I'd rather have 2 tons of SSRM ammo and only 11 DHS.

3. YaoYaoYiffy

YaoYaoYiffy Active Member

I've yet to ever run out of SSRM ammo with only a single ton, but I will hit my heat cap even with 12 DHS so I like to keep the heat sinks.

Ammo is really easy to swap around, and DHS is "ammo" for energy weapons.

Thanksmuch for the feedback :) happy to see I'm going in the right direction on my first build.

4. Athariel

Athariel Well-Known Member

5. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

LOL @ camera phone...I do it a lot, too, although on my home system I've been using FRAPS. They really need a SS button. Maybe in UI 2.0?

This is the build I have on my X-5, and I have yet to be killed in it. Okay, I've done 1 round, because I bought it while it was on sale and I'm finishing Awesomes then doing Centurions (then Cicadas), but I'm 2 kills - 0 deaths so far. Lists my KD as 2.00, so they don't try to divide by 0.

6. Marec

Marec Well-Known Member

Forget the camera phone, just use the "print" button on your keyboard, it will copy your computer screen to the clipboard. Next, open "ms paint" and paste it in, save as, done.

7. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

It hasn't worked for me in MWO.

8. CX 1237

CX 1237 Active Member

try using shift+print screen.

9. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Well, they have a screenshot button now, so that conversation is outdated, but this build definitely isn't. It does everything a light should do - move 140+, scout, and kill other lights. I don't know if the TAG helps me much, but I don't lose much damage in the long run with it and I get a lot of bonuses out of it.

I have been killed in it now, and I think I have the lowest KDR of my Cicadas in this thing, but I've finally got the hang of it.

10. Liquidation

Liquidation New Member

My question for the OP, why put the DHS in the side torso? If you're worried about a crit taking it out, plop those in the engine itself. You also get the added heat efficiency from doing that. If there is other reasoning behind this, I'm sincere in my curiosity.

11. Telxas

Telxas Junior Member

He put it here so when his side torse armor is gone and damage is applied to the core components, the heatsink can be destroyed instead of the engine (critical hits are applied randomly to a component). If the heatsink wasnt there, all the critical hits would go on his XL engine.. and kill him right away

12. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

This is called Crit Padding. It is a sensible thing to do with non ammo related extra components for a side torso. AMS systems, gauss rounds, DHS, beam weapons, whatever doesn't explode can be stuffed in your torso to decrease the chances of a critical hit landing on your XL.

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

with max Speed:

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast