Zot looking for a (temporary) new GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by PyckenZot, Dec 8, 2015.

1. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

OK, fellow pilots.

With the year-end just around the corner I'm looking at replacing my GTX660 to something more powerfull. I am however no longer as well versed in hardware related topics as I used to be in my twenties so need some advice.
    For starters I am looking for an interim upgrade to my rig as I will upgrade to full stuff again once Star Citizen goes beta/live (depending on funds ;) ) so I'm not going to spend to much.
    Secondly, I'm an NVIDIA guy. No ATI unless REALLY justifiable.

I'm currently looking at either GTX 960 or 970 (I think both are available with 4gigs?) and am leaning towards the 960.

Is the 970 worth the extra cash on 1960x1080 or will the 960 keep me running till my new rig is required?

Thanks upfront!

2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

Check up this Charts Site with indepth Benchmarks (+etc) Comparisons. I recommend a GTX 970 very much, this is a very good Card for up to 1440p Gaming. If you like to play the latest AAA-Titles in Ultra Max Details, the 3.5+0.5GB VRAM could be a bottleneck. But if you have a tight budget limit - there is no better performance for the bucks. The 960 is just too weak for Max Details (+AA/AF) in 1080p, and it's not enough Power Boost vs your own GTX 660 in my opinion. For almost the same money - the R9 380(X) [~ R9 280X] is better due to higher raw performance power plus support for later tech like DX12. If you don't care about Power Consumption you could also grab a 2nd hand R9 290 with very good specs for the money (~$200-250). Well, if you check the Charts you'll see it yourself.

tip: Ask yourself the question - wanna save 100 bucks with the must to upgrade one year earlier, or throw out some money for enough performance to survive for the next 2yrs at least (until Star Citizen will be released finally). ;)

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

Or you could get yourself a 980 Ti or two and laugh for the next 2 years; even when Star Citizen comes out. To be honest though, dude, my 780 Ti crushed MWO easily so if you are just looking for something to tide you over look at pricing one of them off eBay or something. I think I sold my 780 Ti for like 350-400 CDN on Ebay.

4. Blagg Zear

5. Shock

Shock Benefactor

6. Michael

Since GPUs are released so regularly I would avoid the whole "keeping up with the jonses" approach. There will always be a better card "just over the horizon". Play with what you can afford to Pay.

7. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Those charts are really great @Blagg Zear. I used GPUboss until now.
    Looks like I'll be going 970. Now just to see if that fits my power plant,... :)

8. Blagg Zear

Yepp, but with the TikTok Behaviour in the CPU/GPU industry i personally wouldn't buy a new hardware piece of the current cycle at the end of the cycle, when it's almost dawn for the next one, UNLESS i can get a real good budget sales offer, like $250-300 for a GTX 970 or $400 for a GTX 980. Also personally i don't see a reason to spend more than max 350 bucks atm for a new GPU, when the performance gain for every additional buck is dropping down to hell.

Price-Performance-Ratio is King! :D

SkiDog likes this.
  9. SkiDog

SkiDog Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. There are similar issues with jumping at the opening crop of cards. Historically the best bang for you buck comes from cards that are released after the initial Woop-de-doo. I understand why the industry goes that way.... a lot of money is made that way, but for the price conscious end user it pays to wait.... most of the time.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. Blagg Zear

11. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

Yay I got my GTX970 last week for those 269€ :)

Blagg Zear likes this.
  12. Michael

I'm putting a 970 in my sons PC. He doesn't need the dual 980 Ti that I have at 9 years old LOL

SkiDog likes this.
  13. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Sure that is in euros? That is the price I find for GTX960s. Can't find a 970 under 350€ or 269£,...

14. Blagg Zear

Last week I just bought a 2nd Hand Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 Windforce for my lil Bro with still 1.5 yrs guarantee for just 270€ in Ebay, as Xmas Present.

So yeah, if you want to buy new, then you have to pay around 350€, not funny since the price hadn't dropped for ages. In fact the prices are raising again in EU due to the weak exchange rate USD:Euro

So try Ebay or Amazon Marketplace

15. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

No mine was new: Asus Strix GTX970 DC2OC for 304€ (Discount @ Saturn, a group of austrian electronics supermarkets) and Asus has a christmas cashback of -35€ on this GFX Card :) (at the same time i was bidding on ebay on a nearly new model of palit, but this one ended @282€

PyckenZot and Blagg Zear like this.