AWS-8Q "Simplicity" (2x PPC, 5x MLas, AMS, STD300)

Thread in 'AWS-8Q' started by Mister E, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Mister E

Mister E New Member

Kinda a journeyman design. Simple and fun. Key is to have the PPCs in the RA.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I like it. I was looking for a 2xPPC + lasers combination. The other variant I saw involved XL engines, but put LLs in. I had one that used an XL and 2xPPC+2xLPL+3xML, but I think this is probably the best compromise of speed, survivability, and 2xPPC + Laser damage.

3. Phra

Phra Junior Member

4. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Phra, that is beautiful. Slightly less sustained DPS but higher max, alpha, and range.

5. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

that's an old combo, originally posted and build by @Blagg if I'm not mistaken.

6. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

For some reason I thought the other one had an XL...

7. Eugee

Eugee Active Member

The first AWS I picked up was the 9M, and I pretty quickly switched to an ER PPC in the RA, LPLs in the LT/RT, and then 3 SSRM-2s for popping lights (and screen-shake) and my damage done and match score immediately doubled (I'm really new). So I'm looking to pick up an 8Q and when I saw this I really like it! I tweaked the fit a little for my tastes and came up with this:

I started with 2 PPCs in the RA, 5 MPLs in the torso/head, 300 STD, and max armor and Endo. Then I dropped in DHSs till I was out of room, had 1 ton left, so I pulled one HS (18 DHS is plenty) and put on a BAP + 1.5 tons of AMS ammo. So far I'm THRILLED with this thing. It gets around well for an 80 tonner (my 9M leaves it in the dust but still), it's really easy to snipe with the PPC without exposing much, and the MPLs are great when you get in close (or you're staring at a CT!)

The BAP is the only thing I'm not committed to, but I felt giving up a HS to break some ECM and spot sneaky lights earlier was worth it.

8. Eugee

Eugee Active Member

It's funny, as I've gotten better, I've actually switched to the original design, essentially.

Max armor, 2 PPCs for hammering at range, 5 MLs for closeup brawling, 21 DHS to handle it all, and an AMS just to help with LRMs.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast