BJ-1 "Gauss-Jack" (1x Gauss, 3x MLas, 1x JJ, XL235)

Thread in 'BJ-1' started by mmstahlman, Mar 25, 2014.

1. mmstahlman

mmstahlman Active Member

Gauss Jack

XL235
    1 x Gauss Rifle, 4 Tons of Ammo
    3 x Medium Lasers
    10 DHS
    Endo

Last time I played it I got over 700 damage and 3 kills
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

i'll have to try this build. but please follow the standard format for the title of your thread

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

His first post (welcome to the forums) so I fixed it for him. This time.

4. mmstahlman

mmstahlman Active Member

Thanks for fixing. I just got back to a device to update it!

5. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I like it. It gives the AC/20 standard BJ-1 a little more range for safety. I just wish I could squeeze either that 4th MLas. Still, epic build. I will throw this together very soon!

6. mmstahlman

mmstahlman Active Member

THANKS CHAT!!! You have so much good feedback in the community, and your compliment means a lot to me!

Here is a version with 1 ton less ammo to add the MLas, and Armor moved a little off the legs to beef up the arm. You could leave the leg armor and have the MLas on an arm with 10 armor if you like (I probably would) because the arms so rarely get hit in the BJ-1.

I can see losing the extra ton of Gauss ammo for the extra MLas depending on your role. If you plan on being away from the main fight, I think I prefer the ammo. In the screenshot above I think I had gotten the "Gauss Ammo at 25%" warning (so I was into that last ton of ammo) but I think I had something like 6 shots left at end of game.

Poke with the Guass as long as possible and use the MLas as you back out of bad situations.
    I would suggest staying over the 270m range with this build, especially if the opponent has any SRMs. This is why I started with (and may keep) just 3x MLas. Your MLas should do damage at < 540m so at 93.1kph you should be able to keep away from pesky SRM builds.

Be careful of taking shots to your side torsos... Find cover if you get the dreaded *MISSILE INCOMING* Either will end your game quickly.

7. Cpt Chattahah

Yeah, I tried to find a way to squeeze that 4th MLas in, but, 600 damage worth of Gauss is too good to give up! I think your original build is spot on! If my unit doesn't have full 12-mans when I get out of work tonight, I'll throw this together and take 'er for a spin!

I ESPECIALLY love the idea with the current state of LRMs. You've got a very quick, agile little mech that can pop out, throw a nice 15 points at someone and get back out of sight before you're locked up and rained on. I carry Gauss on other builds, but, they only run in the mid-70s KPH. I like the speed of this pup.

I've run a Shadowhawk with a Gauss, but, even with some speed, they present a very big target. BJs are the way to go! :rofl:

8. Cpt Chattahah

Ah. Jesus... Can't do it tonight. It's all LRMs and idiots who think they prove their skill by sitting behind a hill and getting "1337" damage. Jesus... My best game out of 4 was 400 damage and 3 kills. This build deserves better than that. In a balanced system, I'm SURE this build could go 700+ w/o Air and Arty. Easily 1000 with the strikes. Damn this MissileMeta.

9. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I tried to make this after I saw Chatt wrecking faces with it. Initially couldn't get it done well but discarding the left arm seems to be a really good idea to get a bit more ammo in. Me likes!

10. Cpt Chattahah

What S7 is referring to:

[​IMG]

This was my second four-kill match in the few that S7 and I ran together yesterday.

Very nice build. I actually REALLY prefer it over the standard AC/20 BJ. With the modest speed and great agility, this build can get into positions most snipers cannot and places that enemy players do not expect. The extra range and much fast projectile speed mean you have some opportunities to strike that are not afforded to the bigger Boomstick. Very nice build, Stahl.

My biggest problem was actually getting too damn many headshots! I lost three kills yesterday because I hit cockpit instead of cored CTs. Funny problem to have!

11. mmstahlman

mmstahlman Active Member

WOW!

Thanks for the 5 star rating! As much as I was hoping for it, I did not expect it.
    I am getting a consistent 400+ damage each round and a few kills but the screenshot on my original post is still my best round with this build.

Yes, Cpt Chattahah, that means you are doing better with my build than I am. Nice work sir!
    PS: It would be soooooooo awesome to run this with you. Drop me a line when you are on.
    My in-game name matches my forum name.

Thanks again guys!

12. Cpt Chattahah

Will do, sir! We'll get you in TeamSpeak and drop some baddies! :D

13. mmstahlman

mmstahlman Active Member

Looking at getting a Raven 3L... that being said trying to find a use for the XL210.
    Take this build.
    Replace XL235 with XL210
    Add a DHS
    Add ML in the empty arm (even with the 10 point armor value, it may never get shot off).

There you go. 4 ML and 4 tons of Gauss Ammo.
    Cost = 10kph.
    May not be worth it... but if you have an XL210 laying around... There you go.
    Sadly enough, going from XL235 to XL210 gives you 2 tones, and one less heat sink... so you only gain one ton. That is enough, however, for that missing ML.

14. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Commandos.

nice adaptation though imo too slow.

15. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

If speed doesn't matter, take an XL195 (from an COM-2D for example).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  16. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

Good build. I had some effective matches with this build. I was even able to pop tart a bit with the gauss in spite of its delay. I did both the xl235 and xl210 builds, preferring the faster and more agile variant. I wish it had more armor and a main weapon that better suited the BJ's super agile lifestyle. 4/5 stars for me!

17. Caspian111

Caspian111 Active Member

Still very effective. I play mine with an xl 235 & 4 x ML.

[​IMG]

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast