CTF-1X Major Laser (5x LLas, XL300)
4.5/5,

2 ratings

Thread in 'CTF-1X' started by TWeaKoR, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TWeaKoR

TWeaKoR New Member

A pretty simple yet very effective laser boat I've been running for a while now. You can usually get two consecutive alpha strikes out of this build without overheating (definitely if you've got the two basic heat management unlocks), and when you're near the top of your heat bar you can dish out a near-constant barrage of large laser fire just using the arms.

Full armour (or as good as) means you're not likely to go down quick, though obviously you need to watch your side torsos with that XL engine. Even so, with the speed you've got you can usually get away from serious trouble if your sides start peeling.

Originally I ran this build with a 245 XL engine, Endo and standard HS - this gave marginally higher heat efficiency, but with the slow speed of it I actually found myself overheating more as I was stuck in the thick of the brawl. With the 300 XL, DHS and no Endo you're at the limit of the amount of cooling you can fit, but I think it works fine. If you really wanted you could strip down some armour and throw in AMS, but at 70kph you should be able to get cover from LRM fire anyway.

Weapon groupings I use:
    Mouse 1: Left Arm
    Mouse 2: Right Arm (chainfire sometimes)
    Mouse 3: Both Torsos
    Mouse 4: Alpha Strike

This mech actually got me to finally change the binding for Mouse 1 to just fire Group 1 - with it firing the selected group it was a pain to toggle the chainfire on the right arm. Now I can just select Group 2 at the start of the round and tap backspace if I need more careful heat management or I want to deliver more damage to a fast light.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. TheLedZepplin

TheLedZepplin New Member

Hey TWeaKor,

I just tried building this rig in MWO MechLab and it doesn't seem to work. I am a noob, so I am sure I doing something wrong, but I don't seem to be able to fit everything. The CTF-1X chassis has room for 2 lasers on the right arm, not the right torso where it holds one laser and one ballistic. So, I can get all the lasers on board using the right arm but I can't get all those double heat sinks on it. I can only fit 7.

3. TheLedZepplin

TheLedZepplin New Member

Also, just a note, this rig will cost you upwards of $6M CBills, so any noobs looking at this (like me) be advised that unless you've been playing a while and it's the first rig you're buying, you'll need to save up before you can outfit it. The XL engine is almost $5M.

4. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

Noted that there are some simple typos in the build, however, what is stopping you from fitting the DHS? Is it tonnage or space?
    If it's tonnage, then make sure you strip EVERYTHING off the 'mech, including armor and start from the bottom up. Sometimes there may be something extra that you hadn't noticed.
    If it's space, you can use the same as above. Make sure that you put heat sinks into the engine first, then start by placing one in each torso and arm. That alone should be at least 6. Now you should have space in each torso for one more, and the left arm as well. This would lead to your 19 total heat sinks.

I hope this helped you in some way. If not, I guess I'll have to step into the mechlab myself and give it a look.
    If you strip your 'mech down, put in the engine and add the armor how it is stated above, then you should come up at 36 tons (leaving 34 free tons for lasers and DHS).

5. Rangelus

Rangelus New Member

This is what I would do, although I haven't tried either of these builds out yet (I run ML and AC/20). Only 1% worse cooling efficiency in exchange for 10KM/h faster speeds. A bit less armour too, although it's all in the legs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  6. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

4-5 less DHS and XL instead STD of but 17-27 kph more than the similar build on the STK-5M. Breaking it down:

Sustained DPS - Max DPS - Efficiency - Speed
    STK 5M: 4.76-10.59-45% - 59.7 kph
    OP Build: 4.02-10.59-38% - 76.4 kph
    Rangelus Redo: 3.92-10.59-37% - 86.6 kph

At the extreme ends, we have similar max DPS, and a loss of about 18% sustained DPS, and a gain of 45% speed. That tradeoff (combined with the XL engine limitations) seems to be very good, IMHO.

7. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

It took me a while to break down what you were saying, likely due to the composition. After I finally scienced what you were saying I find it to be a nice comparison.
    The speed difference alone is quite nice, and sure, the XL makes it a bit softer, but speed allows you to use cover.
    Overall, I like this build, though I hope to see less boats and more diverse builds as new 'mechs come out.

4/5 good sir. Couldn't snag that 5/5 from me simply due to my dislike for boats, as they don't offer variety.
    However, this is an efficient build, and when played well can dish out some nice damage.

8. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I personally run a STD 280 in this mech, but man is it funny to laser a light as it runs away :rofl:

*5 man

9. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Ouch. Looks like a nasty mech to run into in a dark alley of River City!

10. Ugrolol

Ugrolol New Member

right now using 5 er llas with 325 xl engine 19dhs
    99% heat couse of alpha xD
    and 45 w/o so heat management its all about

11. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Yeah I was hoping Smurfy would have added the Ghost Heat weapon table to the build sheets so that it shows "PENALTY" somewhere on there in red so people can easily tell that heat management will be a factor.

12. Ugrolol

Ugrolol New Member

there a lot new*(i didnt played on beta rly just had account xD) big maps
    so better if you get ER so you can outdamage in long range confronting
    btw if there whould be way to use different loadouts for different maps that resolve a lot problems but right now i think er better for most

(wanna try another set maybe 20ac not sure what easier xD playing 3rd day)

13. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

4/5,
    Good build with XL340

But you need to hide and stay at good distance. You have not a good DPS.

ER large laser can be good.

14. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Once I was using it I was doing this:

Obviously doing left-right groups.

15. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

With 5 ER large laser it work. You can make a lot of damage because the meta is at long range ( archer LRM ... )

16. Evvo

Evvo Well-Known Member

5/5,
    Build: https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=8bd0849e_CTF-1X
    Ran it with TC1, BAP and XL325.
    For longer duration mid range combat this build performs well with its pinpoint damage. Personally used left-side right-side firing 2 and 3. Keeping distance is key.
    Highest damage played: 1000

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast