Ember "Prodigy" (2x LPLas, 3x JJ, XL245)

Thread in 'Ember' started by InsolentHalo, Feb 6, 2014.

1. InsolentHalo

InsolentHalo New Member

I'm the pain ya tasted.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Dispossessed

Not enough heatsinks. The game requires a minimum of 10 heatsinks in a mech. Remove 2 jumpjets and add a heatsink.

Still a fairly poor build. If you want to ignore the machine guns entirely and don't care about being slow this is probably better:

Faster. More Jumpjets. More damage.

3. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Very interesting at the least! Have you play tested it? What kind of results were you getting?

I would assume you either run will less JJs or minimal armor since you only have 9 heatsinks, but, it's still doable.

While I have not tried it, I cannot imagine it being as effective as the 4xMLas/4xMG combo usually run. That alpha and crit combo is just crazy! However, this does look like a very interesting a fun build to try out!

4. Cpt Chattahah

PS; LOVE the name! ;) I'm sure I'm not the only one to have named this mech "Prodigy" when I purchased it. Brought be back a couple decades! :D

5. Magnificent Bastard

Oh look. You can add machine guns.

6. InsolentHalo

InsolentHalo New Member

Yeah I'd have to run with less armor for the DHS.

My favorite mech and probably the one I have the best experience with is the BJ-1 AC20 3X ML. I much prefer hitting and then not being a target or high DPS over short exposure time. Circle strafing is not something I like. 3ML IS more damage but its over more time and requires keeping the beam on target for 1/3 a second longer. MGs require being close to the enemy and in full view for a much longer amount of time. I prefer a faster hit.

I was primed to buy this mech but I wanted to figure out something that fit my play style and saw some criticism.

7. Cpt Chattahah

Well said. Still a bit hard to get many strikes off with a light going 113kph, but, I understand what you're going for.

However, with the time you'd have to be exposed at a medium's speed, wouldn't you still feel better off with a 30 damage alpha of a Jenner going 150kph that can strike and retreat?

I'm not sold either way. I do really like the idea of a dual LPL light, but, think I'd have to find a way to sneak in at least a little more speed...

Once the other variants are released, I may try something like this:
    http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=137&l=f116f1f3c1d1f6da4304554e6e399785540ab5a5
    After being mastered, 135kph isn't tooooo bad. I still just worry about the egress of a lightly armored mech with (albeit quick) low firepower. At that point, I would rather commit to a hopping puncher with 2xPPC. It would run slower for heat management, but, be able to commit to cover easier with such a small package size, which, I consider the main advantage here.

Once again, great explanation, I at least understand what you were looking for now. Happy hunting, Halo!

8. Magnificent Bastard

Then it sounds like PPCs might be better for you than Large Pulse Lasers. The range will assist in minimizing your exposure.

[quote author=InsolentHalo link=topic=5582.msg36365#msg36365 date=1391722968]Circle strafing is not something I like.[/quote]
    I guess you're not normally a light mech pilot so you probably don't know this... but circle strafing is not something anyone should be doing. Yeah there are times where a bit of circling is alright but the circle-jerks you see people doing in matches are noobs and idiots. Even close range harasser light mechs shouldn't be doing that.

[quote author=InsolentHalo link=topic=5582.msg36365#msg36365 date=1391722968]3ML IS more damage but its over more time and requires keeping the beam on target for 1/3 a second longer. MGs require being close to the enemy and in full view for a much longer amount of time. I prefer a faster hit.[/quote]
    Yes you need to keep the medium lasers on the target longer to achieve maximum damage but you shouldn't feel forced to use them this way every time you fire them. Even if you only have three medium lasers on target for half their duration that's still 7.5 damage. Medium lasers are arguably the most efficient weapon in the game. They perform well even if you aren't using them in the most optimal fashion. As for machine guns requiring you to be in full view for longer... wut? You've been watching noob Spider pilots too much. Sure you can use a machine gun like a bullet hose but you could just as easily burst fire them.

The ideal harasser light mech jumps from cover one moment, shoots his target once or twice(preferably from behind or at a weakspot you previously identified), and immediately dives back into cover. And then, without slowing down or stopping, repeats the process... preferably when the enemy is once again focused on someone else.

9. InsolentHalo

InsolentHalo New Member

Its an optional build for an optional play style.

Arent there a lot of light pilots that use the slow torso and turn speed of larger mechs to their advantage and use it to get behind their targets when in medium to close range?
    MG is ~120m LPL is ~300m and if missed for half their shorter duration is 5.3 vs 7.5 on 3xML, but I explained that I use/think of them more like a direct fire weapon because of their shorter duration burst length.

ML are very well rounded weapons, this is just a different build that doesnt have them, I explained why I prefer not to use them in this case.

PPC and LPL are two very different animals. You posted a 2x PPC build of the Ember in which you said, "This is a joke. Don't run this. Please. Just don't." I'd agree with that for myself, I wouldn't do that with this mech.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast