[FEEDBACK] TOWN HALL MEETING ON 25 Feb 2016 Summary Info!

Discussion in 'Feedback on Sales, Patches, Promotions' started by Blagg Zear, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

So here it is, what you all wanted to know:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/47t2x9/townhall_info_compilation_infodump/

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Karl TenBrew

Karl TenBrew Space Pimp

...new heat system is on the table? Are we sure this is still the Prime Material Plane and not the Mirror Universe? Overall, lots of things to mull over but mostly good!

The Verge likes this.
  3. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

FINALLY Pilot models!!!!!

New heat system seem like a good idea, maybe. As long as heat/OH is still involved.

4. SkiDog

SkiDog Moderator Staff Member

I listened to the town hall yesterday, and overall, I am positive. Some will probably berate me over this, but I like the game mode changes they are introducing. Putting more emphasis on playing the mode for victory is a good idea.... will have to see in practice if it changes anything.
    I think the mech re-size is going to upset the small amount of balance that they have achieved. It probably should have been done a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

The revamp of assault mode is ambitious, but if they can pull it off, it's what I've wanted for a long time.

5. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Legendary Member

Continuing cap after all enemies are destroyed for the loss...

Sure, there will be the occasional match when one side is destroyed, but still wins because the aggressors ignored caps and can't catch up in time... But that is a rare case. Mostly, this just means 12-23 pilots have to sit with their thumb up their ass waiting out the last few minutes watching nothing happen... It's a game to shoot giant stompy robots. I want to shoot giant stompy robots! Once the enemy force is destroyed, doesn't take much to assume that the resources can all be taken by the winners - even if it takes them more than 15 minutes!

Meh. That one annoyed me. Otherwise, it's an overall positive townhall. New game-mode, new map, nostalgic new (old) mech, single monthly patch, decals, official Tourneys, texture update... Good stuff...

But BEST OF ALL NO MORE VOTING SCAMS! Take that, Florida! ;)

The Verge likes this.
  6. SkiDog

Yeah, that's kindofadick move. He had a hard time justifying that one on the cast.

Personally I would have liked more of a take over the resource point and gain control of the assets type of play. Right now to cap you are just standing there, or running around in a circle easy target type of thing in order to cap what?... a blue progress bar???:banghead: If the resource point had actual assets that would come online once the resource was captured that aided the team?? turrets, radar, ecm.... whatever, creating a protected perimeter around the cap point. There would be a tactical reason to cap. it would make your position stronger. They could use the same idea in CW. once the asset is captured it would give the option of using that point as a tactical drop point. And, if PGI wants to keep the "Continuing cap after all enemies are destroyed for the loss..." thing, at least those that decided to stick around would get to watch the rest try to take down the assets at the cap points.
    Debate if you want, but this would be better than what exists now, and better than what is being pushed.... It's not like this is a new idea either.

Azakael likes this.
  7. Cpt Chattahah

If they want to make it resource-centric, make it worth your while to play the game-mode instead of brawl!

Say, each weight class gets a set reward for each "tick" of a cap point. Lights get there easier, so say. 500 C-Bills per tick? Mediums at 650 C-Bills. Heavies at 750 C-Bills, and 900 C-Bills per tick for Assaults? This means there's TRULY a reward for playing the game-mode as designed, still a chance to engage and fight over cap-points, but get rid of the silly "everyone's dead, but you're stuck here" shit.

And @SkiDog I like the idea of resources coming online if you cap, but I would much rather it basically be a UAV that pops up, or radar dome. Something that gives the advantage of seeing an enemy coming, but doesn't cause damage as much as to deter the want for overturning an already taken point. nawwhaimsayin'?

8. SkiDog

@Cpt Chattahah I get it, and agree. The point is this isn't new territory. It's been done before... Successfully. Don't these guys even play games? When your answer to the problem of the overall community not playing the game mode the way intended is punishment of all, instead of actually rewarding intended play .??? I have to question.

9. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

The thing is, if everyone is enjoyign how a game mode is, then have it that way!
    You can add other modes that would encourage other forms of play.
    Fact is, many of us just want to kill shit.

10. Cpt Chattahah

I'll admit... I lul'd. :D

11. Shock

Shock Benefactor

To me, the trick is coming up with a way to make it possible to win via either fighting or capping. that's a tough balance to hit. Personally, I'd like to see it so that splitting up by lance is the way to go. Anything other than the standard deathball-wins.

12. Karl TenBrew

Karl TenBrew Space Pimp

Digested. Essay version:
    -I'm fine with one patch per month so long as it remains substantive. I don't want frequent patching just to make me feel good, I want steady content. 1/month is a respectable pace, and if patches continue to be meaty I'm all for it.

-Assault being substantially different from Skrimish aside from the addition of possible cap cheese is something I am looking froward to. I remember when the difference was "and there are turrets", and while it wasn't a terrible idea it wasn't very well implemented. Hopefully, and I hate to stress "hopefully" but I am anyway, real bases will change that. I want a fun, definitive Assault mode, but I'm pretty sure it will take a while.

-King of the Hill and new plans for Conquest explain some of the cap changes, and they do make sense: cap happens when not contested AND no combat. As nice as it will be to be able to tell the team to stop ignoring caps and be right, it will be an adjustment that will likely still require time to get used to across the community. We shall see what happens.

- Vote changes are VERY welcome.

-Textures/sizing long overdue. Will deal with the aggravating part of the adjustment.

-As much as I hate to throw a negative point in, an additional game mode with a new objective, the stated 5-mode goal, and existing mode changes are going to exacerbate the problems with mech-before-mode choice. If Russ can budge and at least admit ghost heat needs to change, anything can happen, but I'm dreading how much strain it's going to take. I understand the game's need to lock us in at a particular tonnage (solves more problems than it creates, speeds things up), and I understand the impetus to lock us in to a chassis, but at the player level being locked into a single build and having no recourse other than praying to the map vote gods is going to be a huge pain point. Even if new heat system comes to pass, rocks, and incentivizes mixed loadouts and damage over time rather than burst, this will STILL be a huge pain point.

-C-Bill penalty for Team Damage...I'm on the side of it probably WON'T help that much, but I'm still for it as it should have always been that way.

-Most of the other stuff is too far out for me to take other than a wait-and-see approach, even the proposal for a new heat system. That said, the issue with ghost heat is not that it exists, it's that the implementation was poorly thought out and all feedback was ignored. If the goal is explicitly to increase TTK and match time, then some kind of heat penalty or lockout are the only things that make sense. One of the ideas sometimes posed as reactor strain could work for MWO if the dev team actually listens to the community and doesn't go on another wild tangent (my fear for any change to heat as is). A meter that shows strain after a certain amount of heat-draw at once (ANY weapon systems still undergoing their firing cycle or within X or .X time units of initial trigger that add up to Y heat) and adds increasing penalty heat the further this goes would seem to make the most sense, as it is also extremely flexible to adjustment. Binary status with outright tiers ok? Great, bar across your bottom is colored and chunked with markers and heat appears or disappears on it as applicable. Need more possible rate of change? Spectrum at the bottom with color banding, merging, and stretching that applies choice of flat or % penalty heat based on strain level. Can be tied to engine size, heat sink count, or both. Just talk about it, iterate on it, and be willing to make adjustments to it! After all, the root problem with Ghost Heat is the inflexibility of the system, general unwillingness to adjust it (the only changes to it we've seen are individual weapon systems moved into or out of categories, or the simu-fire number changed, both done rarely), removal from community feedback, and lack of any visual indicator in match. Ghost Heat itself could even be molded into an acceptable system if they really cared enough!
    ---But they don't care enough. My fear remains that this change is purely reactionary to Alpha Strike potential, so Russ has fallen out of love with GH and will fall in love with a different system shitty for entirely different reasons and the cycle will repeat itself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  13. spdarkside

spdarkside New Member

Coming from Team Fortress 2, I think the changes to assault are helpful. Slightly overboard, but helpful. Will make it feel unique and interesting, like Base Assault from Unreal.

14. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

On team damage. Team damage happens, almost every round. But most team damage is single digit thing like kicking and pushing. Sure you can give it cbill penalty, but seriously it is not like i would care since it couldn't be that many, but it would penalize newbie more since for them every cbill count. For those who troll it is likely a special throwaway account so penalty means nothing.

Other than that it would be stupid people stopping in front of my fireline. Wait!!! Does it mean I can troll people by walking into my team's lasers and screwing them over? Yay?

New heat system... sure! As long as it is not WORSE than ghostheat. That said if pgi is idiotic enough to that that a good system will stop people from having meta... they are dead wrong. There will always be min/max, and changing rules is just changing what it means to be maxed out OP beast of doom. That said, if something more reasonable than ghostheat comes out then it is good also.

15. Cpt Chattahah

Assault mode = CW attack Jr? That could be fun... Destroy the Gen instead of capping... At least it's not just standing around putzing in the circle...

Aylek likes this.
  16. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

So the PHX goes on sale in an hour or two... let's see which pricing model it will have. Same as MAD / WHM / RFL and KDK? Seems a bit ridiculous considering PHX is only 45t. On the other hand, KDK is 100t, but clan tech is not for everyone. Even Urbanmech was the same, wasn't it?

17. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

What if they throw in a limited edition singing anime girl in the cock pit?:smuggrin:

SkiDog likes this.
  18. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, Game Modes... thinking bout some refreshing modes for a long time. Got some ideas, just dont know how it works practically.

Here is one for example:
    Inverted Conquest aka Countdown. Mission: Nuclear Bombs are set in both Team's Bases, you have to work together to make the Enemy Base go up first. Countdown Timer for both teams will usually go down in let's say 7,5 Min. Your team can slow it down via conquering the Cap Points, so to extend the Battle Time to max 15 min.

Cap Points: You can only slow down your own Countdown Timer if you can conquer more cap points than the enemy - you cannot stop the Timer completely. At least one teammate has to stay within a Cap Point Area otherwise the Conquer Bar will slowly turn back to "unconquered". Also if Enemy steps inside the Area -> "unconquered" instantly.

Win Conditions: A) Countdown Timer for Enemy goes down to Zero first = Enemy Base Destruction via Nuclear Explosion .... well, and what about destroying all Enemy Mechs? Well, even if your team smashes the enemy team completely, but you failed to slow down your own Countdown Timer against the enemy Timer -> Your Base explodes first -> LOSS.

Decide what to do - nascar/deathball (actually the wrong way to play this mode) or split up in Lances to get&hold the points. Hard Choices, but would motivate players to actually work in Lances, and not repeat generic Nascar/Deathball Gameplay again and again.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Azakael likes this.
  19. Aramuside

Aramuside Advanced Member

Curious which these will be: 5 new mastery bundles

What hero mechs are we missing from the bundles - pirates bane, death knell, st. ives blue, fang, pretty baby, hellslinger.

It won't be the Fang as there's just 1 dragon that's not in the other mastery pack (1N).

That's an amazingly hard sell if its those 5.

20. SkiDog

Yeah, she could sing and throw up a salute after every kill [​IMG]

enileph likes this.