Frequently Used Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'General MWO Discussion' started by Excalibaard, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

As we're gathering quite a few new members, it might be a nice idea to get a stickied thread with some 'basic min/maxing' tips.

I've found myself repeating a lot of things that are common knowledge for me but not so much for others, such as XL280s weighing as much as an XL275, tonnage differences between engine ratings, ammo placement tips (we had a nice poll about that earlier where basically everyone agreed that headslots are good for ammo), armor distribution tips, etc.

It might be a cool idea to have some sort of compendium with many of these 'basic' tips to help people mix/max from the get go without our intervention, then we can focus more on weapon choices, gameplay, survivability min/maxing instead of commenting on the knowledge base.

As this project is now released, I've removed the ability for anyone to edit to prevent false data snooping in. If you feel something desperately needs to be added, place a comment here or on the google document.

I want to thank everyone for their contributions :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I will help you in any way I can. It will have to wait till Monday, as I will be out of town this weekend for Family Christmas Time. Just a basic Start

-Endo Steel Upgrade before Ferro, and only use Ferro if you have the extra Critical Slots.
    -Double Heatsinks on every Mech, due to the Capacity increase if you overheat.
    -Max armor value on Light mechs legs.
    -Mention of Critical Slots and how to crit pad them.
    -Mention of Engine HS and 10+ mechanic.
    -Mention of the Streak and A+ bug.

3. TheDevilsIncarnate

TheDevilsIncarnate Advanced Member

You should also mention which engines are the best to use. (240-300) for standard

4. Excalibaard

I'll make a Google Document where people can contribute what they come up with. Posting the link when finished.
    Please add under the right header :)

5. Excalibaard

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rEV2TECSJkuzaJmUBx4zw1OTVNE6uauevMFdZUX2_Yo/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the link, available to be edited by anyone.

6. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

I love DHS as most of you would know, but mention on some lights you may have to skip it due to crit slots and small max engine size.

Mention order of ammo usage in the mech. This piece of info is easily missed.
    Mention of how excess damage is transfered from area to area, something taken as normal for traditional MW/BT players.
    Mention the advantage of putting ammo in the head (it makes no difference in safety due to game mechanics).
    Mention ghost heat, some new players do not know about them.
    Mention how "red goes faster" due to ork mechaniks.
    Mention how CASE is only useful when you are not running XL.

7. Excalibaard

You know you can just open the google document link and add them in yourself? that saves be the trouble of copying everything people say here :D

8. Aylek

Aylek Moderator Staff Member

Added a sentence about asymmetrical builds.

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

This is incorrect (only the built-in DHS have 2x, and there might have less than 10).

I edited as follows:

I'm also not happy with this:
    In most cases, it's better not to do the armor upgrade in order to free room for DHS, because a single HS build won't be able to dissipate enough.
    The only exceptions I see are machine-guns builds (spider and locust) that don't require massive dissipation and are fine with single HS.
    (I did not edited)

enileph likes this.
  10. Caspian111

Caspian111 Active Member

- Heatsink into the engine are 2x more powerfull that heatsink into the mech.
    - Maximize your engine in order to have more heatsink into your engine.
    From 275 to 295 = 1heatsink into the engine
    From 300 to 320 = 2 heatsink into the engine
    From 325 to 345 = 3heatsink into the engine
    etc

11. Excalibaard

Those are already implemented.

12. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

not true.

13. Excalibaard

As the tips list is getting pretty sizable, (2.5 pages?) I suppose we're almost finished. Thanks for contribution so far, please add something if you think it's missing. Otherwise I think it's ready to be released as a guide/sticky/whatever Michael :)

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

My Edit:

I made some sexy banners for ya :rolleyes::

[​IMG]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i44.tinypic.com/29ux6dl.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i43.tinypic.com/2q3rzts.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i43.tinypic.com/5xisz9.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i40.tinypic.com/2rmxhck.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i42.tinypic.com/23ro7kl.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i40.tinypic.com/zjwm7s.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i42.tinypic.com/15n0h95.jpg[/img]
    [img width=700 height=175]http://i42.tinypic.com/2lbgihk.jpg[/img]

First thing to say - I would add a "General" Section on top for general tips when posting a new build on mechspecs.com:
    - use smurfy to adjust+prepare your build and link it in your post on top via smurfy-tags! So we all can see the stats immediately.
    - try to post Mechbuilds, which you have tested yourself and can prove their effectiveness (e.g. Scoreboards, Gameplay-Vidz, etc.)
    - try to write some helpful stuffs to explain your build, how to use it, what to attend, etc.
    - avoid Troll-Builds, which are hard to use or simply underpowered (low Firepower, low Cool Efficiency, low Mobility, no EMC on EMC-Mechs, STD-Engines on Lights, etc.)
    - avoid double posting existing builds
    - follow the title-convention! How To Title/Name Your Builds
    - post in existing threads, if your build is only a minor variation (e.g. Engine Size, BAP, AMS, etc.)

Edits to the existing content:

Engines:
    - XL Engines will explode by Sidetorso Destruction! So only use XL Engines on Mechs with small Sidetorsos (e.g. Dragons, Catapults) or high Mobility (e.g. all Lights, Shadow Hawks) to avoid severe Torso Damage
    - Lights usually need XL Engines for High Speed, while having enough free tonnage for good weaponry
    - Common XL Engines, which you get in Stockloadouts are XL255, XL275, XL280, XL300, XL320
    - Use Common XL Engines, which many Mechs can use, so avoid extra costs!

[hr]

Armor:
    - Except Lights, it's sometimes better to peel off some Armor from the Limbs to get additional free tonnage for important things like Heatsinks, Cooling, Ammo or Extra Equipment (JJs, AMS, BAP, etc.), since you get legged relatively rarely in bigger Mechs.

[hr]

Heatsinks:
    - try to place your Heatsinks in the Torso first, before going into Arms, so if you lose your Arms, you still have enough Cooling
    - Use Heatsinks as Critpadder, e.g. in Sidetorsos.
    - You can load Heatsinks in some Engines (>STD/XL275), e.g. if you don't have any left Critslots elsewhere

[hr]

Hardpoints:
    - Try to use as many Hardpoints as possible, so if you lose any Bodyparts you still have remaining Weapons to keep on fighting
    - Try to fill the Hardpoints with Weapons for few Weapongroups to keep the Usage of the Weaponsystem simple and effective in combat (e.g. you have 2x Energy-, 2x Ballistics-, 2x Missiles-Hardpoints: 2x LLas, 2x AC5, 2x SSRM2 and NOT 1x PPC, 1x MLas, 1x AC10, 1x MG, 1x LRM5, 1x SSRM2)

[hr]

Armanent:

- When using PPC, try to load at least 2 additional Heatsink for each PPC you load, e.g. 2x PPC minimum 14 Heatsinks in total, to keep the Cool Efficiency at fair level
    - UAC5 can jam with 20% chance, so better load multiple UAC5s if possible
    - Some Missile Hardpoints in Mechs have limited Tubesizes for firing Missiles in one Volley together (e.g. 5, 6, 10, 15, 20)
    - If possible load Missile Pods, with the maximum same Launchersize as Tubesizelimitation on the Mech, so to keep your Missiles in one Volley.
    - If using Multiple (>2) similar sized LRM-Launchers, they will count to one Weapongroup for Ghostheat, namely to the one of the biggest Launcher of the Set!
    - Try to load at very least 2tons of Ammo for each Autocannon you load. 3tons are sufficient, 4tons most times too much and rise unnecessarily the Chance of Ammo.Explosion
    - Missiles Ammo depends on the gameplay/role of the build - if the Mech is designed as LRM Boat you mostly need average 6tons (1080) of Missiles.

[hr]

Critical Slots:
    - If you still have many free Critslots, try to use as much as possible of them, e.g. FF for Engine Upgrade, or additional Heatsinks, etc.

that's all for the moment, maybe i come up with some other ideas later. :rolleyes:

Blagg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  15. The Verge

I disagree with a lot of Blaggs edits, but don't have time to discuss them till tommorow. I'm still on the road.

16. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

ok no np, i'll listen. If there are some invalid points, i take em back. Just wanted to give some spontaneous ideas. :rolleyes:

17. Excalibaard

Some ha already been added, and are now reworded, some are added as well. I try to avoid too many examples as it would become cluttered.

Thanks for the banners, but I probably won't use them until released on the forum (Diablo font fan much?)

18. The Verge

I think these are the only things I disagree with the most. We already have a FAQ section in the forum (people sometimes follow :( ) so it seems pointless to me.

-The armor idea need more specifics. Mostly by chassis weight or even specific examples.
    -PPC's and their heat may need to be discussed separately from Cooling Eff.
    -That, and I don't think PPC need extra DHS untill the ER versions.
    -the LRM ghost heat with Weapon Group needs to be proven to me before I consider it a tip.
    -The Auto cannon ammo amount needs to be discussed. I use 4 tons on a single AC5 on my SHD, with only 1 ton of MG ammo for 2.

So far, I like the document. It's looking good!

19. Excalibaard

It definitely is. Thanks alot for the contributions everyone. I think it's ready (shouldn't be much longer in size).

20. Excalibaard

I think this is for now as complete as it can get, might even have overdone it with the 'basic tips'. Sticky it up!