FS9-A "Micro Psycho" (8x SPLaser, 1x JJ, XL295)
5/5,

9 ratings

Discussion in 'FS9-A' started by ProtoformX, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Remarius

Remarius Space Pimp

Not good for heavier stuff particularly anything without JJ.....

2. Falconium

Falconium Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I found that bigger 'Mechs get bogged down alot, stuck on little sticks and whatnot on the ground. Thought this may be partly the "new map syndrome" (needs some bug-fixing for sticky spots), I think it will generally be the case with this map: big 'Mechs can be easily outmaneuvered by their smaller enemies; even out in the open, there are lots of objects to block your path.

I've only dropped into a match on this map twice, once in a Stormcrow and once in a Timberwolf. First match was alright, as I hugged a rock wall and avoided open (brush-studded) areas pretty much the entire match. But the second one, in the Timby, I couldn't move or turn for the life of me (and it did cost me my life in the end). I ended up bogged down among all those dead-insect parts, and couldn't do a thing.

3. Durandal

Durandal Legendary Member

I can definitely see that...the heavy and assault mechs I saw there were having a ton of trouble. In essence, it's the perfect ambush map: lure the enemy in to a crowded area, swoop in for some quick damage, and then fade out behind the cover. By the time they realize how horrible their position is, you've already shredded a few mechs, and panic mode sets in ;)

4. Aylek

Aylek Moderator Staff Member

5/5,
    Bought it yesterday, but already completed basic skills. K/D 2.0.... Can confirm to the monster status. Evil build!

5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

5/5,
    I am having so much fun in this. I just hold down the button and circle the enemy... I can do either group fire all of them or individual fire all of them and make it like a pink floyd concert

6. Michael

[​IMG]

Must carry harder!!!! lol

7. Michael

[​IMG]

I'm still not carrying hard enough!!!!! Guess it will get better once I get this thing into the ELITE column

Falconium likes this.
  8. Aylek

Yeah, I am getting similar results as Michael with this. Bought this thing on friday in the evening and used the premium time from the weekend's challenge to level all through basics and elite skills. Yesterday we dropped in a light pack including an Ember, a Pirate's Bane and me in this little monster. That was kinda scary even for myself being part of it. :D

EDIT:
    FIRESTARTER FS9-A 22 games: 15-6 (2.50) (1x tie!) / K-D: 26-13 (2.00) / damage dealt: 7,812 / XP earned: 37,724 / time played: 02:32:48

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  9. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

you know I'm beginning to see it different :)
    All those splatcrows with 5 c-SRM6, the light hunters with the one-click-instawin-button, basically all the Meta-mopeds now have a real nasty meta-light that will ruin their day and that is GOOD! It's good that people start raging how OP lights are. I can't tell you how many times I got one-shot by 70-alpha direwolves and all those other lame machines that are truly OP but their drivers will deny it forever.

PS

I just LOVE to wreck back-row LurmAssaults with this baby. It's like you're the teacher, softly reminding the assault pilots that Atlai LRm boats will die horribly!

Falconium likes this.
  10. Falconium

Falconium Moderator Staff Member

Such a beautiful killer . . . don't even have to do damage, it just murders them so fast.
    [​IMG]

Solahma likes this.
  11. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

As a light pilot who pilots all types of lights I hate this mech. How is a Raven or a Spider supposed to compete with this? Even with quirks...and ECM...

I was running a RVN-2X with a build similar to the meta 3L build (2xERLL), only I had no ECM and more DHS. I ran into a Firestarter with this build and I just yelled swear words at my computer because I knew I couldn't run away and I couldn't compete with an alpha that big that fast.

12. Solahma

Solahma Space Pimp

See my post on page 2.

TLDR give any FS9-A room and caution. Always be aware of where he is. Keep distance and shoot for his legs. Don't stay far from backup.

13. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

That's brilliant advice that also happens to be impossible to follow on conquest in a pug match.

I recognize there are advantages to my build, but the fact remains that the more energy slots a light has the more capable it is.

14. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

Just go with it. The more people drive this monster, the greater the chance for a nerf.
    As strong as it is I find myself using the H variant more often with 6 mlas, gives more range and has more team value imho. It's not as situational as the A.

Also, Commando 3A. It's so funny how underrated this is but this is also pretty dangerous and much more fun :)

15. Durandal

Durandal Legendary Member

It depends a lot on the map too...generally speaking, a dual ERLL build Raven is going to have the advantage vs. that Firestarter on maps like Alpine, Tourmaline, Caustic (in certain parts), and River City (and Viridian Bog if you play it just right and let your teammates decoy a bit), where it can be harder to close the firing gap without taking some nasty shots. Canyon Network, Frozen City, Forest Canyon, TT, and Bog all give the FS9-A a lot of opportunities to close the gap and come out from behind cover at close range though, meaning it has the opportunity to do a lot of damage. The main reason that the Super Chicken 2 ERLL build works so well on the 3L is because the ECM can let you get a number of shots out at long range without being detected as easily. You can then relocate to advantageous positions around your team, both shrouding them and getting protection at the same time; the 2X may be able to run the build, but it doesn't have the defensive capability to operate as stealthily as a result.

Running a FS9-A, I am far more annoyed by Ravens that have some missiles mounted when they are not a 3L, mainly because they can cause enough damage close up that it's more worthwhile to chase the heavier boys than it is to scrap with the lights and lose more armor in the encounter. Laser Ravens are much easier targets.

16. Aylek

The mech's great and dishes out a lot of damage for sure - when in range... 138m including lvl 5 range module isn't a lot, which in turn means you need to be nearly face hugging with this thing. And allthough the capabilities are there to melt through bigger mechs quickly, it still has a light mech's legs.

This isn't a mech one picks up and scores good results with if you don't have much experience with lights and light tactics. In the hands of a good light player these things are pretty scary, though. On the other hand, mechs like the quirked Thunderbolt 5SS will work on the spot for most guys out there.

Some adjustments to the quirks aren't unlikely if you ask me, but as with the Dragon 1N those changes need to be done carefully... otherwise those mechs will disapear quickly again and it'll be back to ~ 70% lights = Ember, Jenner or Raven 3L.

I for myself like the diversity of mechs I can spot on the battlefied at the moment and it's part of the fun for me to quickly identify the most dangerous opponents. As mentioned before the only mech I'd tone down a bit is the TDR-5SS, but not a fragile light which needs to get to under 200m to be effective.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Falconium likes this.
  17. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

yeah aylek. did you read the forums lately, and the "wtf lights are SO OP" nonsense?
    Timberwolves are OP, and Direwolves. maybe the 5SS a little bit.
    But lights? Come on, if you meet a splatcrow you're dead in less than two seconds.

If PGI continues to listen to the community regarding balancing issues, this game will degrade to something the LORDS dream about. Total clan domination, lights reduced to scouting only (like you need that on Forest Colony, yeah) and a collection of mechs that generally support power gaming.

What I'm saying is that the Quirks made the gap between bad and good IS mechs even worse.. take the Commando, you don't see it at all anymore, it's just gone

18. Aylek

I only go to the official forums once a qeek to check command posts, announcements and news about the league we're playing in. That's it.

There always was a gap distinguishing mechs of a weight class. FS9s get ten tons more to work with than Commandos, that's nearly 40% of additional weight on top of simply carrying more and better hardpoints, and on top of this energy weapon are best when it comes to weight considerations, simple as that. So even in the pre quirk MWO you had to work a lot harder for getting the same value when piloting a Commando instead of one of the 35t lights. Same goes for CDA vs. Shadowhawk/Griffin/Wolverine/Kintaro - if the 3M didn't have ECM, I bet we wouldn't see that one at all.

I for my part am happy that it's not Ember, JR7-F or RVN-3L only anymore. Commandos are a stepchild in the lights category for sure now, and even moreso than before. Variety of mechs sighted changed in that we're seeing more variants of certain chassis, but that's only natural considering the differences in weight, hardpoints and JJs mentioned before. It's still increased variance, and this is a good sign in my books.

Both Commando 2D and TDK are still in my garage, and I use them for a ride sometimes, but it's either in a league where we have to use a 25t mech or simply for fun. When thinking competetive it never was a clear first choice anyway.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  19. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

If commandos had gotten a massive DSP boost through quirks, they would be a viable option now.. like the hunginn, which rocketeered to T2 from T5 because it got insane SRM4 quirks :)

20. Aylek

Indeed. Hugin is on my buy-list as well when it's on sale again. :thumbsup: ^_^

Sad fact: imagine the Commando 2D got the same SRM4 quirks: despite using a much smaller engine and not dedicating weight & slots for JJs you'd be hard presses to fit enough ammo. That's part of the '10tons more to work with' problem the Commandos have. I even spot Locusts more regularly atm because 5 tons are better spent in 5 MLas or SPLas than in missiles when there's only so much weight and space.