1. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

Ilya Muromets "Payback Time" (2x RAC5, 1xLBX10, XL280)

Discussion in 'Ilya Muromets' started by Gun Tuv, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

I was messing around with the triple LB10X fit and the triple RA5 fit and my conclusion is that a hybrid of the two works rather nicely. The third RA5 was causing me massive heat problems and the inability to 'shoot from the hip' was troublesome too. This fit gives you the surpressing fire of dual rotarys with the ability to vaguely sustain that, all the while thumping shotgun blasts in at anyone who gets inside 200m.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

Incidently I am now running this with an AC-10 rather than the LB10X. I find that compliments the dual R-AC5s better, given that their ranges are akin, making it a decent pure mid-range support fire fit.

Excalibaard likes this.
  3. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

I personally find the hardpoints a bit too low on the cataphract to be a good fire support build, But the 2UAC5,AC10 build I used to run was lots of fun and this seems pretty similar in style :) Very nice!

4. Archwright

Archwright Benefactor

Do you spin up the RACs together or separately?

5. Excalibaard

I suggest to spin them at the same time for ease of piloting. Very fringe cases at which you only want to fire one.

6. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

I'm actually now running a very odd IM. 3xLB5Xs and 2xLPPCs. LPPCs are actually mounted decently either side of the cockpit, which almost makes it interesting. I'll make another thread discussing it's oddness at some point.

Doubtless I'll give up on the awful thing sooner or later like everyone else ;)

7. Excalibaard

triple LBX5 is my favourite atm. using LE300 and 3 ML instead though.

8. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

Yeah RACs were linked to a single button. Left mouse, RACs; right mouse, AC-10.

9. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

Triple LB5xs is fun, huh? Such a versatile thing. Poke at a gazillion miles (with the weird LPPCs in my case) or shoot from the hip like a tight coned LB15x. The range on them is mind-boggling, the flight paths converge and cross over somewhere around 1200m? :D

EDIT: sorry I'm totes digressing in the wrong place - will move the convo to after your triple LB5 fit if you like o7

10. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

Okay to get back on track. I got back into MWO a couple of months back having backed it pre-release and things are just starting to crystalize now about how stuff actually works. Rotaries are great fun but they basically mean massive face-time. The Cataphract is just about as bad a mech for facing someone down in as you could ever find, having mostly awful hard-point placing and some of the worst hitboxes in history. I have therefore moved my twin RAC5s to my Marauder where they can poke over ridges and suchlike. I'll not delete this thread as I think seeing how others reason through stuff is of value, but I very much doubt I will run rotaries on an IM again. It's LB5s or LB10s all the way - minimal face-time short/mid-range city fun.

11. Excalibaard

Happens all the time tbh. Will keep happening until we maybe are able to get nested replies. Have you posted your LB5/LPPC combo?

On RAC5+LBX10: I think dodging ghost heat with a UAC5 might be better. Can also both benefit from jam reduction skills.

XL version with cooling for the RACs and double taps:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  12. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv New Member

Yeah I'll pop my 2xLPPC/3xLB5X up in the correct place when I get a moment, sir!

Clever - use the UAC5 as a fake RAC5.