LCT-3M "The Angry Ankle Biter" (5x SPLas, XL190)
4.75/5,

4 ratings

Discussion in 'LCT-3M' started by kaozer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. 55555

55555 New Member

[​IMG]

title really says it all. This seems like a easy build to make, but it took me quite a while to get to this point. first off, heres the specs.

I used to use a build very similiar to this one (http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=4061.0) and used it as a starting point. However there's a few things different....its got no ams, and medium lasers instead of splas.

now then, i loved sniping with a laser as much as anyone, but i quickly noticed that if im doing that, im really not using the full potential of the locust, which is circle strafing around heavies. This is the build MADE for that, nothing else. No range, you just close in, and start running around them like hell and hope you don't get stuck on something.

I really wanted to keep the dual ams, i really did, but 2 things:

-with dual ams, i would always run out of ams ammo midway through match with just 1 ton of ammo anyways
    -taking that ams out and putting in nothing but splas allowed me to stack splas range/cooldown weapon mods
    -get the ams overload weapon module. compensates easily

So, i took it out.

Also, notice the locust isn't max armor. Thats because all spots are at max except for head. Why? because i never ever ever ever die from a headshot in a locust. I think i did once, and that was because my leg was broken and was being rained on by missiles. I would rather sacrifice half head armor for max weapons, max engine, max all other armor points.

for the consumables, i like coolshot6 + coolshot 9by9. This build runs hot, no doubt about it, but if you wield those lasers with precision, you can core out the back of a dire whale before you can say freebirth.

For your mech module slots, i use capture accelerator, seismic sensor, and currently saving up for the radar deprivation mod.

for weapon mods, i do spulse laser range, pluse laser cooldown, and finally ams overload. With the overload, i don't even miss the second ams.

anyways, 6.18 max dps, about as high damage as one can get, while retaining max engine and almost max armor! i love this thing. thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Auriga

Auriga MechSpecs Addict

I would still change 1 for a MLas to get that minimal edge in range/cover u need sometimes.

3. 55555

55555 New Member

i used to build like that, i feel for ya. and that's a good argument, but think about it. its one mlas. its not gonna do much for sniping, and if you're in cover trying to snipe, you're playing this locust wrong. i'd rather have another splas thats going to synergize with the cd + range bonuses of the weapon modules too.

all about your playstyle though!

4. SirBurntChicken

SirBurntChicken Well-Known Member

Yep, it's all about play style and sl and spl are too low range/low power for me. Their only advantage is low heat and that isn't that much lower. I'll take my ml's or nothing. I like to keep a couple hundred meters between me and the enemy.

What I'd love to see is a low power/long range type of laser. Something that only did 2 points of damage but could reach out to 600m. Even if it had a low dps of something like .75 I'd still boat it, unless they made the heat or the weight really high.

5. 55555

55555 New Member

that would be awesome! one day....one day....

but yeah...i used to roll 6mlasers on my cicada for the longest time....but i've noticed, trading them for splas makes you more effective vs other fast lights, especially ones with mlasers...can just get more damage in on the legs. but that's traded with effectiveness at medium range, and less burst (for when you pop out right behind a DWF and try to core out their center as much as you can before they whip around)

6. SuperPignouf

SuperPignouf Junior Member

5/5,
    I approve this build. (OP's build). Locust is a beast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Soy likes this.
  7. chiron

chiron New Member

Personally, i prefer dropping the engine to 180 and adding 1 or 2 AMS. (minus a little head armor)

The engine change is negligible unless your being chased by another light, and the AMS deals with the streaks just fine. If/When you run out of AMS ammo, you just change your tactics and play a little more conservative...its the end of the match anyways, and the LRM danger is usually diminished.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  8. chiron

chiron New Member

4/5,
    Excellent skirmishing ability, but ignores the intended function of single/dual AMS.

9. Durandal

Durandal Legendary Member

If you've ever played the FS9-A, you will be very comfortable with this build. Even before speed tweak, it is fast and deadly. Post speed tweak, it is able to close the distance so fast that players have trouble tracking it, and it can get several alphas out before fading away at leisure. Too bad you can't do this build on the Pirate's Bane, since all it's missing is that ECM cover to make it a true beast.

For reference, I ran the OP build, no AMS. It works great.

10. Durandal

Durandal Legendary Member

5/5,
    Sorry for the double post...I rated this, then edited the post, and the rating vanished :( Putting it back in ;)

11. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Legendary Member

We call this "The Rage-Quit Special." So many players throwing their keyboards after a LOCUST took out half of their team with over 1k damage!

12. Riscy

Riscy Benefactor

I love this build. Just bought locusts and this is my first round on the bog with the 3M.
    [​IMG]

13. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01001101 01001111 01000100 Staff Member

5/5,
    Never thought I'd be enjoying locusts quite like this!

I've been running the 1V before with the energy quirks, but it turned out to be the locust I liked least! This build is amazing and I'm enjoying it a lot. The 3S with 3x SRM2 and 3,5 t of ammo is right behind.

Great fun in these bugs!

[​IMG]

14. Ragnahawk

Ragnahawk Well-Known Member

Light Ferro means 1 extra heatsink.