Quirk Testing Impressions - Input Welcome!

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Solahma, Nov 5, 2014.

1. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

Hmmm? Those QKD perks are pretty solid. The -5K supports its meta (albeit not my build) while the -4H quirks make it a viable brawler, finally, and the -4G make it an amazing skirmisher.

2. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

So, we have seen some interesting benefits for energy weapons and equipment that counts as energy - tag laser and range extensions for example.

But...

What about the flamer? Anyone checked that out and the effects a serious heat reduction has on using it? Ridiculous range increases?

3. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Someone in a Locust was jetting me with 6 flamers last night in my 12 DHS 4 ERML/SRM6 Ice Ferret.... I killed them. Thats how effective they are - the Locust pilots comments in local clarified that he had exactly the same thoughts about their effectiveness. It was unexpected though I thought it was a graphical glitch at first as I charged him... ;)

That said its now a possible distraction option but it is anotehr hammerblow against that fixed un-bonused flamer on the Adder.

4. Pilzerino

Pilzerino New Member

I was talking with some people the other day, and we really don't see how they expect to balance flamers.

I've gotten some good games in, and so far I'm liking the quirks. I feel better about my 'mechs capabilities to perform, and whereas previous to the patch I felt I was getting wrecked by people who simply had better loadouts, now I feel that I am getting destroyed because I am getting out-played. Currently using a battlemaster kitted for brawling and an Awesome kitted for sniping. I've had much more constant success with the Battlemaster, but feel the Awesome would do much better than it does in more coordinated groups.

5. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I finally had a great series of games with my Oxide (500-800 damage :D) after I modified my build to drop an SRM4 and add a couple tons of ammo...finally liking it.

epikt likes this.
  6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I'm curious, what's your build?
    (I can't understand how you do better with one less launcher: just play the same with 4!)

7. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Well in fairness it depend on play styles. I run groups and am harassing/tying down targets for the rest of my lance so not having the heat penalty for four is good as my lance want them concentrating on me. Being unable to fire for heat reasons rather ruins that. ;)

Volley and run you'd appear to be better with more launchers.

8. Pilzerino

Pilzerino New Member

Also if you tend to miss a bit, more pulls of the trigger are better than more damage per shot.

I only mention this because it gets annoying to see brand new players try to go for gauss builds with very little ammo, then proceed to miss most of their shots because they don't lead and don't wait for the clean shot.

9. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I was running the 4xSRM4 build with an XL300, but kept having problems with running out of ammo in the matches where I would survive for a long time. I dropped one SRM4 and added 2 tons of ammo (for 550 total), and have still run out once, but my damage output actually went up. I'm using both the range and cooldown modules for the SRM4, so I fire very quickly. I considered dropping down to my XL280 and keeping the 4x launchers, but I don't feel right not having max speed...

10. Pilzerino

Pilzerino New Member

I've actually noticed this a lot with 'mechs that got weapon cycling upgrades. In particular, a match comes to mind where the only mech left on my team was an Awesome-8R with nothing but 4 LRM-15s. It was completely out of ammo. Firing faster is harder to get used to, I've noticed it on my energy weapon mechs, where I need to watch heat much more closely than I used to.

11. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Even before the cooldown quirk, 350 missiles was too low for 4 launchers.
    The Oxide requires compromises because of the ammo dependence, and indeed you can't have 4 SRM4s and an XL300, too heavy.

12. Bustov

Bustov Active Member

Holy sh@t batman, the Dragon 1N is awesome since the quirks, 2 AC5 with range and cooldown modules, more dakka then Ilya with the old chainsaw build
    [​IMG]

don Zappo likes this.
  13. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, it's a pretty good mech now and fun to pilot. One has to remember it's still just 60 tons with armor according to this, so it's far from unbeatable, but I am very happy there are some viable Dragon builds around again.

14. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Yeah I had two 8 kill battles last weekend in the mech and three (of my 4) 1,000+ kill battles that weekend were in the 1N too.

Strangely neither of the 8 kill battles were over 1K...?!??!?

15. Midnite7175

Midnite7175 Advanced Member

That's not strange, that only means you're a Killstealer. ;)

That's absolutley OK. SOmetimes you get a kill with little effort becuase you hit a critspace, ammo or just get the last blow on an already heavy damaged foe. I once had a match with 6 Kills in a light. My damage was under 200....

16. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Not necessarily. Don't underestimate aim & precision. One doesn't need much damage to take out an opposing mech's vulnerable parts.

17. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Well in fairness they were both 870+ just not 1,000+. I forced the issue and led attacks in each case from raised area's so was firing down at people - hammering away at their heads/upper CT. Causes chaos and forces a reaction. Sometimes its a disaster as well trained groups blap you, others it causes chaos as they see heavy hitter after heavy hitter fall and back off reducing firepower against you. from that point they're on a mental back foot.

18. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Had been playing wi them quirked mech.
    OK, since the server is down, here is my Quirk report:
    FS9-A (8x SPL)
    DAMN! This one is great! Along with SPL buff this one is deadly, and there is no problem with heat at all.

JR7-O (4x SRM4)
    Definitely better performance with the SRM4 buff, although that also means you do have to bring more ammo. Expact to run with XL280 instead.

RVN-Huggies (2x SRM4, 4x MG)
    You can FEEL the increase of SRM4 allowing this mech to stand a chance. Basically your dps doubles, with a huge range buff. Esp deadly with MG macro. Really fun.

CDA-3C (1x ERPPC, 1x AC5)
    Have to say, this build of mine just get much much better.

CN9-A (zombie hugger)
    Use only half bonus for SRM6s, but the performance is better.

HBK-4G (1x AC20, 3x ML)
    Feels like almost AC10, hits like AC20.

TBT-LG (4x SRM4, 2x LL)
    Missiles are faster for close range, you can combine them for alpha better due to LL heat reduction.

KTO-18 (5x SRM4) / (5x LRM5) (streaktaro)
    A valid LRM5 boat now.
    That having said, I enjoy the half bonus and go for streaktaro or SRM4s.

WVR-6R / DRG-1N
    DAMN! Those rapid fire 2x AC5, almost as fast as AC2.

TDR-9SE (3x LPL, 2x ML, 1x SRM4)
    Had a hard time using the LPL with STD engine. Finally decide to use XL. Performs quite well, but I am still not too sure about XL in a TDR.

Ilya (2x AC10, 2x ML)
    Bonus not that obvious, going back to 3x AC5 instead.

AWS-8Q (4x PPC, 1x ML)
    OMG! You can rapid chain PPC and they go non-stop! Takes minimal heat also. Oh, you can do one alpha with OH if you want. This is deadly.

STK-4N (4x LL, 3x SRM4)
    Bought this Ex-waste-of-mechbay and start leveling it. 4x LL is quite wonderful with buff, even as I am leveling basic. Despite the loss of SRM4 tube the buff more than makes up for it.

STK-5M
    Good things getting even better.

BNC-3M (4x PLP, 3x ML)
    OK. The LPL is good, but still hottish even with the buff. A bit tricky to get used to still. But that pin point damage...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  19. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Can't wait to buy it again to try out!

20. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Using same fit on mine. Compliments each other very well.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast