RVN-3L Grimm Variant MKI (2x SSRM2, 3x MLas, ECM, AMS, XL295)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'RVN-3L' started by Michael, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

SUGGESTED MODULES: Adv Sensor Range, Target Info Gathering, Seismic Sensor, Capture Accelerator

This is the build I used to use for all competitive play. Now with the changing meta and the change to SSRM spread I have to pay attention to which roles I am assigned.

Scout/Skirmisher: This version will work fine
    Scout/Light Hunter: The MKII is the new build that I use

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

Looks effective, I can't get used to multiple missiles through the Narc Launcher. It may just be me but it is difficult to track all of the missiles to the target; with the exception of strafing runs when the opportunity arises.
    It is seldom that I am outnumbered enough by ECM 'mechs that my own ECM countering doesn't allow for Streak targetting. It does happen from time to time but that is what team mates are for. Give the enemy lights a juicier target to focus on and break away from the combat. Find easier targets yourself or wait for at least one of the enemies ECM 'mechs to be taken out. It certainly isn't flawless but proves effective most of the time.

Myth.

Post Script: If I could get on that Narc Launcher this is likely the build I would go with.

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I don't use Narc. Never have.

4. Mythweaver

The single barreled Missile launcher on the Left side of the Raven...NARC Launcher. Missile racks launched through it come out one at a time in an extended line. I find it very difficult to keep them all on target, that's all.

5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

An alternate to this build is...

You sacrifice a little heat and armor for speed.

6. Mythweaver

I have always been an advocate for MORE Speed. Both Ravens will work great but the added Ammo and Speed makes Michael's build the one I would prefer. I think 100 rounds are far to few to make it over the entire match. Thanks for posting.

Mythweaver

7. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I'm with Myth on this one. It's just like my Splat Stalker, which has some missile bays open and others closed at the start of the match. If I forget to open the bays before I go out, I get to salvos of half my missiles each time; the result is usually that the second group misses. I haven't played the 3L yet, but when I get one, I think the NARC tube requires I use Streaks.

8. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I really like the build posted by Michael. I agree that 1 ton is too little for 2xSSRM2, and I would rather go 280 XL or 295 XL than 285. The BAP would be very useful for using your SSRMs effectively. I think this is the sweet spot for the 3xML, 2xSSRM2, ECM Raven 3L.

9. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I don't really use the first build anymore unless I am out PUG dropping and just want to hunt bigger mechs for shits and giggles.

For competetive play I use the second build as it allows me to have better speed and attack for light interceptor duties.

I've removed the "fooling around build" and just left the competitive build.

10. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Yeah, your second build is what I will most likely go on my 3L. Although a build using a 280 XL is tempting because I already have a 280 XL.

11. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Hmmm...might I suggest variant B? Instead of 2xSRM4, an ASRM6 would have the same weight. Artemis does not affect SSRMs, so going back and forth between ASRM6 and 2xSSRM2 would have no extra cost.

Reason I'm thinking about this is I plan on doing Commandos first, and the Commando is already streaks+lasers, so this would be something a bit different. Can't play with it on Smurfy at work, but if my math is correct the slots should be available.

12. Mythweaver

I also like your second build the best, our Raven's are very similiar; both are very killy!:D

13. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I was running your competitive build with a 280 XL until I could afford the 295 (already had a 280 sitting around). That let me fit an extra DHS, although I could have fit an extra ton of ammo as well. I'm now running the 295 XL and I love it.

Next step: buy Artemis so I can drop BAP and pick up an ASRM6 with the 280 installed to have a better heavy killer.

14. Mythweaver

After running a couple of matches with you Michael, I have decided to run with your build, unless I'm acting as forward observer for LRM's etc... In that case I will revert to my original build which was designed for support.

Myth.

15. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I think your serious build is the absolute cream-of-the-crop for the Raven 3L. I've been running this a lot lately, and I find it very hard to say "I wish I would have gotten this instead" (unless it would involve more tonnage).

The only thing I plan to change is when LRMs get fixed (not unnerfed, but actually fixed) to replace the torso ML with a Tag.

16. TruePoindexter

TruePoindexter Active Member

Ahhh the classic 3L. Mine drops the AMS for an additional DHS to keep the heat curve more forgiving. This is especially handy on Tourmaline where the ambient temp is so high.

17. SmoothRider

SmoothRider New Member

I ran with your build TruePoindexter. my first light mech. holy crap its fun to pilot!

18. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I personally prefer BAP over AMS, but in most situations I don't think either the BAP, AMS, or extra DHS will make much difference.

19. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Thanks Skribs.

I removed the "play build" because too many people were PMing me asking me details on it and I really don't use it anymore; at all.

A lot of people throw on AMS to their builds but I actually prefer BAP. This mech is built for scout and recon duties more than hunting down bigger mechs and killing them and that is how I use it. This might change when the LRM nerf gets un-nerfed but for right now AMS isn't really required.

20. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Even when LRMs were good, I didn't always take it if I had ECM.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast