RVN-4X "Bold Eagle" (1x AC20, XL210) +Alt

Thread in 'RVN-4X' started by Enderman, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Enderman

Enderman New Member

The only Raven-4X build that matters.
    The others simply don't have enough AC20 in them.

It doesn't need DHS, so you save 1.5m CB
    It doesn't use some weird XL engines which no one has, but uses an XL210 which comes preinstalled with Raven 3L.
    It has enough ammo to last you through the majority of matches, and in some cases to get you to the top of the scoreboard.

The only thing is - it is terrible on large maps, that don't have much cover and have large open spaces. Terra Therma, Alpine, Tourmaline - don't expect to do too well on those.

Great maps to play on:
    River City
    Frozen City
    Forest Colony

Basically use cover as much as you can, never approach mechs from the front, avoid going 1 on 1, always try to fire at the CT, unless you can disable the only weapons that the mech has left.
    Try to kill the mechs that are already engaged in the firefight, to minimise the chances of the target noticing you and making you a primary.

Obviously don't try to play as a scout.
    You are basically a mobile fire support, that delivers AC20 rounds to the enemy CTs.

Being a light, you are often ignored when there are many heavier targets in sight, which also helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. enileph

enileph Star Lord

TAKE THE AMMO OUT OF YOUR ARM! PUT IT IN THE CT!
    That way you don't have to worry about ammo explosion from that arm which may spread to your side torso.

Oh you can take some armor out of your unused Las arm, and get a JJ. One JJ goes a long way helping you hop up and down the edges st the harbor, jump on top of buildings and what not. That would allow you to be even more sneaky with the AC20.

Faster version.
    I did not take out DHS, since most people already have it installed on their mech by now. Taking it out would be a pain.

3. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

Dah' Math

Just like having 2x LPLas/2x ERPPC + ammo and focus damage in bullets + limited ammo = Will never reach 500 damage points, I hate my life ._.

4. enileph

enileph Star Lord

This build is half for fun. Meant to be a surprise attack once in a while, not a daily thing.

5. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Considering that the CT is fairly easy to hit on the Raven, I'd put the ammo in the RT. That way you have the arm (dinky as it is) protecting the compartment from the right side, and the whole rest of the 'mech protecting it from the left.

I'd throw the Single Heat Sinks into the legs, you get bonus cooling if the 'mech is standing in water. While it probably wont happen very often, you may as well take advantage of the SHS's only upside.

Totally take enileph's suggestion about the JJs. Drop a ton of ammo and throw one or two of them into the center or side torsos.

This is my suggestion based on the stated goals of the machine.

6. Regina Redshift

Ha-ha... I don't make 500 damage in most matches, so I don't worry too much about max match damage unless I'm using LRMs.

7. Enderman

Enderman New Member

Putting ammo in RT is probably the worst thing you can do to your Raven.

If you look at the Raven's side profile, you will see that RT area is about 3 times larger than RA, and much easier to hit. Putting ammo there is decreasing survivability even further.

Max damage does not matter actually, kills do.
    Assaults can sustain 400-500 damage and still not die if you don't aim, while it will take less than 200 to kill it if you target the CT specifically.

On the other hand, 300 dmg is quite easy to get if you play carefully.

Also, there is nothing more satisfying than killing other lights from a single round.

This mech doesn't need additional cooling, it is heat neutral with 10 SHS.

I'll try exchanging 1 ton of ammo for JJ, and see how much it will change things.

8. Regina Redshift

It's true that the RA provides little protection, but the Raven't CT can be hit from almost any angle, while the RT can be turned away from the enemy.

9. Enderman

Enderman New Member

About using 21 rounds instead of 28 - at least for me, this is not enough.
    Exchanging 7 rounds to JJ did not go so well - I actually lost a few matches because I ran out of ammo and couldn't help to finish off the mechs that were left. A single ML is probably much more useful for that 1 ton.

Also, about heat - actually managed to overheat it on caustic after 4-5 shots, probably will be the same on Terra Therma. On other maps heat is not an issue.

10. Enderman

Enderman New Member

You installed DHS on 4X o_O?? Why? 1.5m CB down the drain...

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Teammate: "incoming Spiders & Jenners!"
    Bold Eagle: "Sh*T! Save my A** Buddy!!!!"

12. SrgFlip

SrgFlip New Member

While maybe not the best Loadout to grind XP, the BOOM Raven is definitely a lot of fun to ride.

My take on it:

Essentially same as Archwright's just less armor instead of the smaller engine, JJs are definitely a must for me - makes light hunting a lot easier.

13. Kryten 2X4B

Kryten 2X4B Active Member

My alt: Dont have slower engines, so i came with this to test it, its good trolling fun because people are trying to find a jaggermech which is not there :D

14. P

P Well-Known Member

here's the cheapest troll build where we call it the Fried Chicken from Tourmaline Fried Chicken

no upgrades are needed, just douche around with this till you master your 3l and sell it off
    fun mech but utterly useless just like Macdonalds Bigmac

15. wargnome

wargnome New Member

think this makes a good ac20 build. others i've seen are either slower, have less ammo, no JJ, or have lower dps (shs). it's sufficiently fast to flow with the meds and heavies and deal devastating punches. the very high ballistic hardpoint is a real perk and several kills per match is common.

p.s. i need not mention this is a public fun build;)

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  16. epikt

epikt Benefactor

17. wargnome

wargnome New Member

*i always want to take advantage of JJ capabilities esp with a high hardpoint. 4to of ammo is a must. and with 100kph being my threshold- voilĂ :

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  18. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Threads Merged.

19. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Oh, I agree (and to be honest the OP build is horribad), but don't open a new tread for each variant, just post it on the main one.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast