SDR-5K Sniper Build (1x ERLLas, 4x MG, 6x JJ, XL255)

Thread in 'SDR-5K' started by Torabayashi, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Torabayashi

Torabayashi Junior Member

The biggest weapon you can fit in the center torso, backed up by 4 MGs for breaking internals.

Max speed and jump jets for mobility.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. ambience

ambience New Member

I used the money I made last night with a missile boat during the LRMpocalypse and bought a Spider 5K tonight. I dropped one JJ and added a little more armor spread out across my body though.

I only do about 200 damage a match at best, and my K/D isn't that great after 15 matches, but I find this to be a tremendously fun mech to fly around with. It's probably the most fun I've had in a light mech since closed beta. I was a little surprised how it worked against missiles too especially after the patch last night. Usually I could run away and jump over something to break LOS and get away from the target zone in time.

I play it as more of a hit and run and nuisance mech once I do my initial recon to find where the enemy is at the start. I'd frequently find myself tying up or distracting the midfield or backfield of the opponent formation and wait until they turned their attention on me then zip away. And then circle looking for mechs with no armor to pepper with machine guns.

And I must admit, machine gun kills are pretty satisfying when they happen.

3. vanel

vanel New Member

I tried your build and I found that this build works better.

Little more armor, one extra JJ, and another ton of ammo just for giving up the LPL.

The 1pt of extra damage isn't worth the trade off IMO, also the LPL has awful range, the ERLL is much more versatile.

You have the option of swapping out the extra ton of armor for another two JJ's.

4. Cthulu Jr.

Cthulu Jr. Well-Known Member

Alternate Build;

With the jump jets, flat-out speed isn't quite as important, so I figure sacrificing a little bit of weight for those extra 2 tons freed up by the lighter engine makes this much better.

5. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

yes, i feel the need for extra JJs and ammos too lol

6. John McFianna

John McFianna Active Member

Im using this with a large pulse laser / 4 MGs... ist really fun :)

7. PilotSerenity

Sniping, I mean hunting xD, and if you want a more balance Spider Variant for Short and Long range, use Spider-5D, the best Variant, or i guess it's 5V because you can jump higher plus you can put 2 MPLas in the torso plus you can use the arms as shields too

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I'm using a slightly different build: max engine, 4 jets, 4000 bullets, 179 armor points.
    (it's Vanel's with one more JJ and 1/2t less armor)

It works!

PS 1: I disagree with the "sniper" thing. You don't snipe with a LL, especially not with a spider...
    PS 2: I see you all strip armor from the legs. Bad idea, if you ask me.

9. Severity

Severity Junior Member

This build is absurdly lethal and so much fun to play!

10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I had a glorious game with this build this evening. Glorious and absolutely frustrating, exasperating, infuriating (I looked in the dictionary for this one ^^), since after taking out 4 of the 5 remaining enemies, the last only had LRMs left so I was 100% safe, can you believe it, the forking game crashed on me!!!! o_O :angry: :(

It would have been an 8 kills game. Thanks to my teammates who nicely started the work, I must admit, but it shows how a great finisher this mech is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmNN2S12ijA
    The quality is awful, sorry about that, but because of the crash my recording was corrupt and I couldn't recovered it yet.
    But I wanted to keep it as a souvenir, it's not every day I kill 4 mechs in less than a minute in 1v5.

11. Burnburger

Burnburger Junior Member

I went for a Max Armor/2-JJ build since I mostly harass snipers and LRM boats. With a good PUG I can net about 2-3 kills 200-300 damage.

12. PilotSerenity

I want the same build with max JJ, removing armors on the head really works (head damage for spiders, so rare). 4000ammo of MG + ER Large Laser + 2-3 JJs + max leg (and arm if possible) armors

13. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I can't do better than that.
    You can't mount LL, 4MG with 2t, XL engine and 6JJ with ferofibrous armor, not enough slots, it forces you to downgrade the engine a lot.
    (you can go for a XL220 if you lower the armor)

14. animalmother233

animalmother233 New Member

Been working with this SDR-5K] 5k[/url] build for awhiled now and i have mine on average running about 600 points of damage a game. Im running 4 mgs and a large laser, and this builds ammo load out will even hold up for the new 12v12. However im not gonna lie and say this is a cheap mech but once its built you will be the most powerful light on the battlefield. And if you can work it in so you can get you elite speed tweak it becomes that much more deadly. And the heat is not a problem you can hold down the large laser and never over heat.

SDR-5K

15. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Welcome on the forum.

It's a variant of this build, it would have been better if you just had replied to the tread instead of starting a new one.

About your build, only one JJ on a spider is like an heresy to me, poor spidey, it wants to fly!
    I also suggest you try an ERLL. Doesn't matter if you don't have much use of the extra range, the build is so heat-efficient it can't hurt.

16. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to Mechspecs, I hope you enjoy your stay.

That said, this is a different build, as you have a lot of MG ammo, and a lot of armor, but not a lot of JJ. I would put at least 2 JJ in a spider, as that is the main advantage they have over other light's.

3-5 stars.

17. epikt

epikt Benefactor

There are already lots of variants on the thread, with more/less armor, JJ, ammo, etc. This one is the first with 3 tons, but I don't think it's different.
    (anyway, the boss will decide)

18. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I think what he meant was that this is a different build as in "Wow, that's odd" or "Wow, that's different".

Anyways, mergeception. This build has been around for a while.

19. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I run with an XL235 (what I had in the warehouse) and 2T of ammo... Sooooo fun. :rofl:

20. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

If there's a better way to have fun in this game than running round in a 5K machine-gunning things in the back, I don't know it!

I love this build!

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast