Specifics of EMS

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Audd, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Audd

Audd New Member

Can someone explain the specific ins-and-outs of EMS? I know no long range sensor scan/targeting without clear LOS. But I haven't played enough to discover the nuances.

For example, LRM boat:
    won't target ECM covered mech at long range (>?? meters).
    Can target the mech if within LOS and ?? meters, or cannot get target lock at all?

What else am I missing?

Does BAP help at all (fairly clueless to BAP as well)? Sensor module?

2. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

HERE IS THE LINK WHERE THIS INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND, AS WELL AS MORE.

Mechs that can mount ECM
    Currently only the following 'Mechs can mount ECM:
    Commando COM-2D
    Raven RVN-3L
    Cicada CDA-3M
    Atlas AS7-D-DC
    The Jenner JR-7D was supposed to mount an ECM, but was voted down by the Devs at the last minute.

Disrupt Mode
    By default, the ECM is in “disrupt” mode. While it is in this mode, it creates a bubble of sorts that scrambles enemy communications and sensor systems. Mechs carrying an ECM in disrupt mode are marked with an ECM icon.

All friendly Mechs (including the one with the ECM) within the range of an ECM in disrupt mode (180 m) are ‘cloaked’ from enemy sensors. Mechs that are hidden in this manner are marked with a symbol that looks like an eye.
    When a Mech is hidden by a friendly ECM:
    -Enemy Mechs will have to come within 1/4 the normal distance (200 m instead of 800 m, by default) for hidden Mechs to show up on their battlegrid and HUD.
    -The Beagle Active Probe is of no use in extending this range.
    -It takes twice as long to achieve a missile lock against a hidden Mech.
    -Narc beacons will stick to hidden Mechs, but they won’t provide their normal bonuses until the Mech leaves the ECM’s range.
    -Artemis IV does not provide any bonuses against hidden Mechs.

When you enter the range of an enemy ECM in disrupt mode, your Mech will be cut off from communications with your teammates and some of your targeting equipment will cease to function. Mechs that are within the field of a hostile ECM are marked with a symbol that looks like low signal bars.
    When your Mech is disrupted by an enemy ECM:
    -You will not know where your teammates are, and they won’t know where you are, unless you have direct line of sight to each other.
    -You cannot share any targeting data with the rest of your team, and vice versa.
    -Your Beagle Active Probe ceases to function.
    -You cannot achieve any missile locks.
    -Your TAG laser can still fire but provides no bonuses.
    -Your battlegrid and targeting information will flicker.

Low Signal Strength

Between the ECM’s 180 m range, and the 200 m range for detecting Mechs hidden by ECM, there’s a 20 m radius band where you can detect a hidden Mech, target it, and get a missile lock and/or share the targeting with your teammates.
    If you are not being disrupted by an enemy ECM, any hidden Mech on the other team that you hit with a TAG laser will be revealed as if it wasn’t being hidden. This allows you and your teammates to target and lock on it for as long as you can keep the TAG beam trained on it.
    If you press the button to toggle the mode of your ECM (‘J’ by default), you can switch from “disrupt” mode to “counter” mode and back again.

Counter Mode

Counter mode provides none of the benefits of disrupt mode. What it does do is counter enemy ECMs that are in disrupt mode.
    Your ECM in counter mode will:
    -Cancel the effect of one enemy ECM on Mechs (friendly or enemy) within range of your ECM (180 m)
    -However, two enemy ECMs affecting the Mech would require two counter ECMs, three would require three, etc.
    -Completely cancel all effects of an ECM in disrupt mode equipped on an enemy Mech that is within range (180 m)
    -Mechs countered in such a way have their ECM symbol replaced with a crossed out version.
    -You can only counter one enemy ECM in this manner.
    -I.e. If there are two enemy Mechs with disrupt mode ECMs in range, one will be countered while the other will function normally. But two counter ECMs will counter two disrupt ECMs, etc.

Coming into the game at the same time as ECM is your Mech’s status bar. This is a series of icons on the right hand side of your HUD that denote various effects your Mech is experiencing. Currently you’ll see if your Mech is being hidden by a friendly ECM (including your own), if your communications are disrupted by an enemy ECM, and if your ECM is being countered by an enemy. In the future, more status indicators will be added to this area.[1]

TAG
    Shooting a mech with TAG will make it targetable, even it it's defended by ECM.

3. Audd

Audd New Member

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that site (so, double thanks :D)

So we have to be within 200m of a mech, even if we have direct LOS, to be able to get targeting data on them? I'm starting to agree that ECM is a bit overdone. To clarify: I am not of the mind that ECM is way OP. I just think it's a tad too much. Direct LOS should give you better results. Perhaps allow BAP and extended range module to mitigate somewhat.

I like ECM scrambles LRM lock, I like ECM scrambling SSRM lock but that can be countered with TAG. I understand dropping targeting range, but all the way down to 25%? And not able to counter with other targeting related equipment/modules.. not so much.

4. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

Well, if you can get an ally within ECM range, they can set their ECM to Counter and shut down the enemy ECM. Scouts are good at slipping in (Commando, Rave, Cicada) and messing their ECM up. Brawlers (Atlas) can get in and lay down some pain while jackin' the ECM up to allow for heavy support form ally boats.

Though, since the introduction of ECM LRM boats have gone down in number. They have recently started coming back bit by bit.
    I like that ECM makes people use their eyes to actually SEE enemy 'mechs, and it makes combat more intense when locks don't happen.

5. Audd

Audd New Member

Same. Something was needed to counter the proliferation of LRMs in closed beta, but I think ECM went overboard.
    I found a link, since after this original post I really started to wonder (and a SLLOOOWWW day at work let me sit in my cube and surf all day...) http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/83474-ask-the-devs-29/page__view__findpost__p__1598770

The post has some very valid points. I like what ECM has done, I like some of the additional fallout from it (closer range to visually target scan an enemy) ... to a point. I think it's a little too far. It is cheap, light, takes little space and tonnage, has a huge impact on a variety of systems and game play.

edit: wrong link
    edit2 : bah. every time I click the link I go to another page. Just going to quote it here.

How was it considered balanced to introduce a 1.5 ton 2 slot piece of equipment that does all of the following:

i) Counters Artemis
    ii) Counters BAP
    iii) Counters TAG bonuses and the whole system inside of 180m
    iv) Counters NARC - a system which weighs more and requires real skill and teamwork to use
    v) Counters other ECMs
    vi) Destroys LRM locks
    vii) Destroys SSRM locks
    viii) Ruins information sharing via minimap
    ix) Scrambles HUD display of enemies
    x) relegates AMS to the dustbin
    xi) Requires no exploding ammo
    xii) Generates no heat
    xiii) Costs less than a much less useful module by a factor of 15...
    xiv) Doesn't use up a weapon hardpoint

Going by tonnage and critical space the ECM should be about as useful as a small laser plus a regular heatsink.

Question 2 is also about ECM balance)

In the patch notes you mentioned that ECM was internally tested and toned down before release. What the heck was it originally going to be if this is the toned down version?

Question 3)

Actually, just go look at question 1 again, seriously how is this supposed to be balanced?

6. Heavenly Lotus

Heavenly Lotus New Member

ECM is not balanced, but that is a dev choice. As is, it just means mechs with ECM that are also top of their weight class are undisputed kings (3L, DDC), and the mechs with ECM that are not top of their weight class are okay (the commando/cicada). Just abuse the stuff while it is good -- as a player, that's the best available option.

7. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

It's not nearly as OP as you claim. It just takes a level head and some knowledge to beat an ECM w/o your own.
    I've seen people say "A team with ECM will always beat a team w/o one" and that's complete garbage. Skill beats powerful tech.

8. Heavenly Lotus

All I claimed was that it was not balanced (it's too good), the 3l/DDC were undisputably the best mech of their class (the "king"), and if you want to win more games than you would otherwise you should abuse them while they are good. Would you disagree with that? I'm not suggesting ECM turns every game into a win, just that it is a significant advantage.

e: Also not commenting on whether it should be nerfed or anything -- just like, if you're optimizing mechs you should use ECM if it's available.

9. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

AS7-RS is still a very valid chassis, and I have died to them before. It's all based on the pilot.
    A solid pilot can handle any chassis, and some better than others.

As for the Raven... the variants w/o ECM are simply too slow for my taste, and thus easier to hit since they can't dodge as easily.
    Commandos are meh. (IMO)

10. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I agree 100% with Marukeru. The people I usually group with and I, have spent alot of time training ourselves to defeat ECM, without using ECM. It is more difficult, you do have to rely less on fire and forget missiles and the like, but it is entirely possible (even Probable) to pull out a win against ECM heavy teams. After the Feb. 19th patch PPC's will also have a negative effect on ECM; disrupting it's ability to function for short periods, possibly allowing a lock with SSRM's. With the Target Degradation module you may even be able to stay locked on for more than one volley...I hope. Anyway, I don't feel that ECM is unbalanced or Over Powered, it just makes us think outside the box, everytime you drop that RVN-3L with your Centurion you will know you have achieved an important objective for your team.

11. Heavenly Lotus

I just started playing again, but when I wrote that PPCs did not have any neg. effect, and the extra sensor range didn't exist.

Do you have the target degradation module, and are you sure it works vs ECM? I must buy it if so.

Thanks

e: The target degradation module/ECM thing is open for anyone!

12. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

TAG cuts ECM out for you only so far as I know for as long as they are TAG painted.

PPCs turns the enemie's ECM off completely for 4 seconds so that everyone can see them !

13. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

All the Target Degradation Module does is extend the time you maintain a lock after you lose line of sight etc... to your target. Using my Centurion CN9-AL with dual ER PPC's + the Module is allowing me to get a lock on ECM 'Mechs with my Streak Missiles. Light 'Mechs like the Raven RVN-3L don't stand up very well against the PPC and and SSRM's. Without help they are still very dangerous if using Streaks themselves but the Centurion is usually tough enough to finish an engagement once commited.

Myth.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast