SYSTEM TEST: UAC5 Comprehensive Breakdown

Discussion in 'Mech Build and System Tests' started by Michael, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4J-5-3shs

2. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

My guess regarding kill time at different ranges is that the variation within the effective range is caused by the randomness of crits. It was only 1 round different. At longer ranges, it will do less damage, so that is to be expected.

Interesting to see the auto fire vs. sustained fire. The jam rate is higher, but DPS is higher as well. My theory regarding UAC/5s is that when they jam, that's just an opportunity to perform defensive maneuvers, such as cooling down, torso twisting, ducking behind cover. Of course, you should have other weapons that you can use in the interim if needed.

My big issue with the UAC/5 (and the other "light" ballistic weapons) is that they are low-damage, high-DPS weapons that require constant time-on-target in order to reach their full potential. Take two players, one with 2xAC2 and one with an AC10 (okay, I didn't mention the UAC/5, but I'm explaining the concept). Both combinations are 12 tons before ammo. The AC2s will each do the DPS of the AC10, so if you fire every half-second, they're better. But if you go BAM-cover-BAM-torso twist-BAM-track that circle strafer-BAM-he went behind cover...well, in that case you can have a lot of gaps in your shooting, enough for the AC10 to cool down. In that case, you can do 4 damage per BAM with the AC2s or 10 damage with the AC10. The AC10 will also focus the damage onto one spot better.

I do think there is nothing better for sustained damage than the UAC/5 (even slightly better than AC/2 IMHO), however I also feel that most gameplay benefits from a Gauss or AC/20 instead, because of how those land hits.

3. Peregrine Plover

Peregrine Plover Benefactor

Agreed. With the popular triple UAC5 Ilya Muromets build, you would think that one gun would always be firing, but no... you inevitably have those simultaneous three-gun jams. At that moment, your opponent who was previously reeling from your barrage, cowering in fear, swivels to see what happened, and there you stand looking like an idiot.

"Uh... hi!" :blush:

At that point it is nice to have two or three medium lasers to blast in his face.

I would like to see a head-to-head between AC5 and UAC5 and see how much actual difference in damage there is, after you subtract all the jams...

4. Christmas Jones

Christmas Jones New Member

I run my JM6-DD with 3x UAC and 2x ML .... its hallacious when you get a good non jam series ... I've stood toe to toe with a Fatlas and won the pissing match. I've also experienced the 3 jam failol, and that usually results in a quick exit via death or a Python ( "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY !!!" )

This weapon has its uses, and I will continue to run it. Enough range to harass semi auto, and enough Dakka Dakka to take a big stinker in that Raven's soup when he tries to straife in close for what he thinks is an easy kill. Under 200m is really sub optimal, as described, unless your target is static/slow.

5. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

Peregrin, based on his chart and my math:
    Auto Fire: 900 DMG in 180s = 5 DPS
    Single Click: 750 DMG in 180s = 4.17 DPS

Weapon stats for ACs:
    AC2/LBX10/AC10 = 4 DPS
    AC5 = 2.94 DPS
    AC20 = 5 DPS
    Gauss = 3.75 DPS

On auto fire it keeps up with AC20 and outdoes everything else, per ton it is arguably the best, next to the AC2 (factor in the low DPH of AC2 and the UAC5 will keep up better). Per hardpoint, it keeps up with AC20 in auto fire and is only beaten by AC20 in single click.

It is worth noting that it requires pretty constant time on target to achieve this. If you're constantly twisting around, LB10 or Gauss would be better.

6. ScatterBrain888

ScatterBrain888 Active Member

Michael, you sound exactly like that mission briefing guy from MechWarrior 3 :O

7. Dread Operative

Dread Operative New Member

I use a macro set to a 1.125 click for best potential RoF with lack of jamming.

8. Michael

Once the website redesign is finished, or at least most of it is live instead of on the sandbox, I will be doing videos like this for Benefactors' at their requests. I will also be getting a new headset to eliminate the background noise and clean up the videos so that I can do more indepth commentary on breakdowns and discussions like this rather than limiting my audio input to the bare minimum.

Didn't you mention this before? Someone said I sounded like the mission briefing guy or someone from a previous MWO franchise. I promise you I am not.

I also tried using a macro (I love macros; especially when using TAG) but found no difference in it's effectiveness since the weapon jams at random periods and not based upon trigger duration.

9. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

10. Dread Operative

Dread Operative New Member

Really?! I must have some awesome luck then because I've never had a on jam since using macros. Admittedly I don't use them much though.

11. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

It must be luck. These can jam first shot, they just jam MORE if fired rapidly.

12. Archwright

Archwright Benefactor

It's a little absurd that it can jam on the 1st shot. I guess that's the price we pay for the fact that it can be unjammed.

13. skribs

skribs Legendary Member

I think it's the price we get for double fire happening with a long click. IMO, holding the button down should just fire every cooldown, and you should have to manually rapid-click to get the full-auto.

14. SgtKinCaiD

SgtKinCaiD New Member

Thanks for you video, very instructive :smile:

15. Jay Z

Jay Z Well-Known Member

Great breakdown. Very informative.

16. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Welcome to MechSpecs! :)

Bear in mind, the UAC5's has been modified since then (jam rate down from 25 to 15%, currently) and may see more modifications before launch.

17. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

So UAC/5s have changed since this video came out.
    They now have the same ROF as a normal AC/5, but can be fired during their cooldown, with a 20% chance to jam if this is done. Holding down the trigger will cause them to fire during cooldown.

Otherwise, compared to AC/5s they have a slightly shorter normal range but longer max range, still take up more slots/weight, and are otherwise identical to AC/5s.

So which one is the faster effective cooldown? That will give us our DPS.
    AC/5: 1.5s
    UAC/5: 1.5s / 2 * 0.80 + 5s * 0.2 = 1.6s

So UAC/5s have a lower DPS than AC/5s. What they're good for is a fast alpha strike.
    At a minimum you can fire twice. So you can do 10 damage with each UAC/5, even if the second shot jams. That lets a UAC/5 mech have much better brawling capability than an AC/5 mech.

18. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

Right dude, for a short duration of high Burstdamage the UAC is still a bit more powerful, but compared on sDPS the AC5 outperform the UAC because of jamming. Even after Nerf i still have more fun with UACs.

19. Dr. Danger

Dr. Danger Advanced Member

I have the feeling, that they tend to jam more often when used in an Alpha strike (after the 1st shot), than when used in chain fire.
    (Cat K2 w/ 2 UAC)

Unfortunatley, I don't have a statistic, only my observations in play.

20. Michael

Interesting observation but I dunno about it. Some people might be under the assumption that there is a COLLECTIVE 20% chance one will jam but I think EACH have a 20% chance; regardless of chain fire or alpha fire.