USER BUILD: Soy's COM-2D "Trollmando"

Discussion in 'Mech Build and System Tests' started by Michael, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=5&l=a22cdcb2398ea74e4383cc4269d5ff4297bd0bb5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_kzME0gBvg

This mech was originally posted by Mythweaver using an XL200 but Soy modified it to suit his tastes and we opted to play that version after having discussed it with him one night. Boltthrower, Moonsword and myself all put together our Commando 2D mechs and went out on to the field. I think we only had like half the basic mech tree skills completed by the time this video was taken.

RECOMMENDED ROLE: Scout / Skirmisher
    TOTAL PRICE: 7,370,324 cbills (including XL engine and all weapons/ammo)
    DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced Piloting and Gunnery skills required

STRENGTHS:
    • XL Engine = Not the max engine allowed but still pretty quick at 139.0 kph with Speed Tweak!
    • Almost maximum armor (2 points less). The Commando can use every little bit it can get!
    • 1.72 Heat Efficiency! Insanely heat efficient! Seriously. Extremely difficult to overheat!
    • Cockpit shake inducing goodness makes you extremely hard to hit!
    • ECM what what?!?! Hunting in tandem or packs of these can allow you to lock down just about anything on the field.
    • Small Size allows you to really use terrain effectively as you can hide behind just about anything. Adding an ADV Seismic Sensor to the mech is almost unfair to the enemy cause you can hide and still know their relative positions.
    DRAWBACKS:
    • Low armor values. This is a hard working little light mech but it doesn't carry a lot of armor to protect it so chances are if someone gets an alpha on just about any part of your mech you are gonna lose that limb.
    • Could use a smidgen more ammo when you are really laying it down in 12 mans. I have run out of ammo before using the 2 tons and have alternated between dropping a DHS for an extra ton of SSRM2 ammo.
    • In the world of meta builds if you stop moving you are dead. As evidenced by this video when a Double 20 Jager vaporized me! Speed is life, avoid slowing down or elevation changes that drop your speed because if the enemy gets a good bead on you chances are it is gonna hurt in the morning.
    • Odd engine rating. Chances are you don't have an XL195 laying around and may have to purchase one to use specifically in this mech.
    • Not very noob friendly as this mech does have a moderate skillset requirement. You need to be situational aware at all times; not just of enemy movement but also of terrain changes as the terrain seems to slow/pause this mechs movement.
    This build can be discussed here: Soy's Trollmando

2. Severity

Severity Junior Member

Haha I was in that match trying out a new CPLT-C4 build and was randomly assigned into your lance :cool:

3. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

Grimm im curious man....y do you make all of Soy's builds? Is he too lazy to make them himself?

4. Michael

Because the builds he tweaks work and they work exceptionally well. Also this is originally mythweavers build but soy made some tweaks and since I'm grinding commando I'm trying various builds out. This happened to be recorded and was a good scoring match. As for him not putting his own videos together maybe he's busy? Maybe he doesn't want to? Maybe he's working on one now I don't know.

Find me something better in the chassis and ill run it but I'm giving credit where credit is due

5. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

Ha!

Awesome vid and round, you guys were owning and having a good time. That's what the Commando is all about.

It's a fun mech and as such that was a fun round to watch.

The mech is one that appealed to me as of late due to the ballistic meta. The original conception was on an alt account I was grinding up to post on the main forums. Being a commando, it is the cheapest mech, so I just wanted to blow the cadet bonus and get some tricked out to make the 25 match grind to finish off recruit (to be able to post on main forums, new rule). Well, as it turns out, it occured to me one of the very few ways to deal with ballistic spam or macros at the moment is to completely crap on their ability to focus that spam consistently... is, quite obviously, Streaks.

So, the build is all about chain firing Streaks at bigs that sport ballistics. You can run circles around these people. The other kicker is, this mech EATS all other lights unless they are something like a SPL jenner (can get quick enough looks to do pinpoint still thru juggling), or a fast PPC Spider (throws kinks into the Streak juggle as well with disruption/kiting), making it good light mech for soloing.

The particular approach one must take with this mech, is to learn how to juggle targets with the Streaks and the ML. Mason's firing on the Streaks could've been better but it's actually more efficient to throw them as fast as possible when you have multiples of this mech. If you are alone, the juggling is trickier and you have to be timing the Streaks in a consistent juggle, with the ML thrown in if they happen to be getting a decent look at you in between screen shakes.

I will discuss this build at length when I showcase it fully; believe it or not, I have 3 subvariants of this mech and they are all still in the formative stages - I haven't whittled it down to a particular build yet, this takes time to develop all of the proper skills and mastery of those, and time to fully test all the subvariants. I'll get my holistic take on this mech and showcase it when I have the build 100% finished. Btw, the build above is probably the leading candidate of the subvariants I'm trying at the moment.

Anyways, it's a hilarious mech for going out and having fun. To me one of the most idealistic goals I have for MWO at the moment (and there's not a lot) is to do 1000 dmg in a Streakmando. IT SHALL BE DONE

6. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

ps - Leon, I've chatted and played with Mason and some of the other mechspecs guys lately, and maybe I shouldn't let my builds slip out to others until I am ready to fully unveil them, but this site is about sharing stuff and having fun together, whether it's a min/max approach or a fun approach. I think this mech straddles both of those quite well, maybe not in a competitive 12 man setting, but certainly in 4 mans or soloing this mech can do some damage and give some laughs. The better question is, why wouldn't you try this mech out?! It's the Trollmando!

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

I understand all that...im just curious why you dont post them yourself like everyone else? Im not trying to offend anyone but it just seems odd that Grimm posts them for you. It takes maybe 2-5 minutes to post a build from smurphy if you actually use the mech and know how it should be built. Maybe 10 minutes if you don't.

Maybe you vowed to never post a build for secrecy's sake, idk, but thats why im asking.

8. Michael

Because Soy is on a mountain top in Tibet somewhere and is contemplating the mysteries of the universe silently as he plays with a mechlab up there. He then sends a carrier pigeon that carries details of the builds to his friends back here in North America. Somewhere around the east coast of China I intercept those coded messages and I decode them using my super secret decoder ring. I then post then for alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the world to see.

There, explanation given.

9. Soy

Soy Legendary Member

There is something real in the idiom that says something about not judging the chef while he's still cooking in the kitchen, but, I think that sort of feeling is more or less moot when I consider that it's sort of a thoughtful and gracious gesture to do something like that from these people. I think I should probably do a better job of conveying whether or not a build is really done or finalized, or if it's still a work in progress. But in cases like this Trollmando it's already an established build, just with some modifications I've been working out in regards to current meta and stuff, and Mason thought it was cool and ran with it. I appreciate that, very nice of him or whoever, for what it's worth.

ps - i am working on a showcase for the Trollmando (btw the build will be the 'Rambo' ;)), but i'm still collecting footage. so...

10. Michael

Call it the Rambo, the Trollmando, whatever you want but.............

[​IMG]

11. Archwright

Archwright Benefactor

For full effect, Grimm, you needed to do 3 less damage. :phear:

12. Michael

LOL I didn't even see that until you mentioned it. THAT would have been epic for sure!

13. Moonsword

Moonsword Space Pimp

I hereby endorse this build.

[​IMG]

14. Azakael

Azakael Advanced Member

I found that I heartily enjoy this Mech. Or at least the closest I came to it without the 195XL. I forget what I sacrificed to keep the 200XL in it... I'll look when I get home.