WVR-7D 'Lone Wolf' (1x AC10, 2x SRM4, 1x MPLas, MASC, XL280)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'WVR-7D' started by Aylek, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

This is an idea I came across when ranting about the missed chance when giving us this variant of the Wolverine rather than the 7M in my Witch Hunter thread for the 7D.

Replacing the Gauss Rifle in the build shown there with an AC10 allowed me to re-equip the MASC system I had to remove in order to gain the weight needed for mounting the GR in the beginning.

This build looks rather interesting to me and can even be done with the XL275 this variant comes with as it weighs the same as the XL 280. We're loosing some minor quirks for the SRM6 when downgrading to SRM4s, but the SRM4s will reward us with a reduced spread of the missiles. I didn't test this build yet, but my gut feeling tells me it'll perform quite nicely as I already played something very similar on the 6R after I purchased that one.

2. boods

boods Active Member

I was just about to post this build when I saw you beat me to it.

I was playing around with my 7D last night, as I leveled my skills. I'm not a fan of UAC5 and wanted something different than an AC5 build (too similar to my 6R). LB10X is too inaccurate for my taste on a medium so I wanted to see how I could fit in an AC10. My build is slightly different with armor allocation and I went with a ML + heatsink instead of a MPL. Given how heat efficient this build is, I think your MPL may be the better option.

I had two consecutive games with 700+ damage with this bad boy.

3. boods

boods Active Member

5/5,
    Comment provided in thread. Excellent build

4. Aylek

50% cooling looks a bit excessive to me, so I'd rather keep the MPLas for the (albeit small) additional punch.

As I created the build prior to the ammo changes for the AC10 we should probably shift half a ton in favor of the SRM ammo.

EDIT: Thanks for the rating. As sad as it is, this is probably one of the best builds possible for the 7D which keep it's unique selling point in MASC.

5. boods

boods Active Member

I was surprised by how effective it is. I'm used to the in & out tactics of the 6R (my favourite) and I found this one played similarly. I find the AC10 is the sweet spot for damage and rate of fire.

A question though; do you always put ammo in your torso? I've always put it in my legs.

6. Aylek

A lot of pilots tend to go for legs on light and medium mechs and any semi-competent light pilot will even test a heavy's and assault's mech armor he comes by (if it's not cored somewhere already). Storing your ammo there will probably only speed up loosing that limb.

As for the torsos, you can use your arms to protect those quite a bit, especially on the Wolvie.

boods likes this.
  7. boods

boods Active Member

Good points; thanks. I find my arms get targeted more on the Wolverines; people must be wise to the hardpoints by now.

8. DerRattenmann

DerRattenmann Active Member

MASC may be fun but after some playing I've found out that I do better without it. MASC still does great on standart engines or when you have reached your engine cap but for XLs it might just be better to invest the tonnage in a bigger engine for better, reliable allround performance.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast